Q re Freikorps Buckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q re Freikorps Buckles

I am wondering if any Freikorps experts can look over these 3 buckles and let me know what you think.

I think buckle B is the standard 'Got Mitt Uns' ww1 one, but buckle A & C I think might be freikorps belt buckles.

Can anyone confirm & if so which kind ? I can not get any more detailed closeups than these unfortunately.

Thanks for checking

image_4697557.jpg

As far as I'm aware, the Freikorps didn't have specific buckles, except for one unit: the Schutztruppe Bug. I would like to see the full photo where you got these images. I suspect that the buckles, which seem to have 'Totenkopf' may actually be from the Wehrwolf paramilitary organization.

Comment

Thanks for checking. Ok here are the 'Gott Mitt uns' & and the more clear of the skull looking ones.

I thought photo b was AFTER photo A but note the EK1 on photo A not b.

There is also a small 'prayer medal' type device on A above the EKI. Same cap in each photograph. Photo B has a caption which seems to be 'Eine Soldaten, Neues Jahr 1920 ! '

uniforms.JPG

Comment

I think it's an optical illusion. The buckles are likely standard Prussian EM buckles with a crown. One photo is not after the other. He's just not wearing his EK in the second one. Based on his collar badges, he's a member of Freiwilligentruppen der 32. Reichswehr Brigade / Freiwillige 12. (Schliesiche) Infanterie-Division. The cap wreath dates it after the change from Freikorps to Reichswehr in June 1919 and before the adoption of the Reichsadler in place of the cockade in March 1920.
        Last edited by Brian L.; 07-09-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the information, that's very helpful.

I have been trying to get more detailed images but no luck. I did get a close up of the 'prayer medal' device from photo A, in case anyone can recognise what it is. It looks to be approx the size of a cent/penny. Not sure if it is Freikorps or WKI related.

medal-q.JPG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X