Freikorps foto ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freikorps foto ?

I believe this man is Freikorps because of the collar insignia. Can anyone tell me what the cloth insignia on his sleeve is? Looks a little strange to be a rank insignia.

Thanks again,

Eric
    Attached Files

Yup, that's one of the most common "generic" Friekoprs collar insignia, used by the Freiwilligen Landesjägerkorps, Freiw.-Detachment Probstmayr, Freiw.-Det. Bogendörfer, Freiwilligen 17. Infanterie Dibisoon, and Freikorps von Hülsen. They're #s 134, 134B, and 138 in VerKuilen Ager's "Freikorps Insignia."

Don't know about the arm stripe. It's not the blue early 1919 Provisional Reichsheer rank system, so may help narrow down the units. Probably black-white-red. There were silver leaves, and gold leaves...

One of my photos with this same collar device made Charlie Woolley's book, a similar underage looking type (though mine was striving for an imaginary David Niven mustache, at least!)

I've got a pair of the gold insignia-- will throw 'em on the scanner later and see how they come out-- very long prongs, so have to be careful!

Comment

Gefreiter

It looks like the May 1919 pattern single horizontal tresse for the rank of Gefreiter.

Regards
      Glenn

Comment

Yeah, but those were dark blue. This one looks like 1/3 dark over 2/3 light, hence my guess at something "patriotically" black-white-red. He looks too young too!

Comment

Stripe,

Rick,

I am not thinking of the earlier Friedensheer dark blue stripes introduced in January 1919 but the 2nd pattern in matt silver tress introduced for the provisional Reichswehr in May 1919. However there does appear to be a darker backing?

Regards
          Glenn

Comment

Did you ever see that recent Bruce Willis movie where he is the psychiatrist with the little kid who says "I see dead people!"?...

I see through Blurs And Smudges in photos. Spooky!

Here are a pair of the gold colored version collar insignia the youngster is wearing in Eric's photo:
            Attached Files

Comment

How interesting--collar tab device looks a lot like the landespolizei collar tab devices. Mike

Comment

one more time
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's four more from the same mans grouping that I bought. Thay are all wearing the same shoulder insignia.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Aha! Since 3 of the 5 appear to be playing hooky from school, I wonder if the sleeve stripe indicates some sort of "Zeitfreiwilliger" part-time training status, rather like the state colors borders on pre-war One Year Volunteers' shoulder straps?

Comment

According to my references the single horizontal bar indicated the rank of Gefreiter, usually with the Regiment - Battalion - Company number above. These have no such number. Hmmmmm

Maybe a quasi ROTC like program???

Comment

Regarding the oak leaves, can one assume from the pics, that these are precursors of ss Standarten fuhrer and higher rank collar insignia? Interesting?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X