Visorless M18 Turkish/Freikorps helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visorless M18 Turkish/Freikorps helmet

For what it’s worth eBay has a M18 visorless Turkish/Freikorps helmet up for grabs

Can you please post the pics here.
    pseudo-expert

Comment

I've never seen an original to compare to, but I dont like it at all.

The pitting is along the bottom half where work would need to be done to remove the bill and fold the edge.. and it was cleaned overall. Front liner rivets are clean, yet its missing the rear liner rivet? Helmets I've owned without a liner never have rivets.

IMO, its like most painted FK helmets... junk. Not to say there arent any FK painted helmets out there, but hens teeth would probably be easier to find.

Comment

I'm not a helmet collector. But, I'm always skeptical of these when they turn up. While the front rim seems to be rolled and not merely cut off, more detailed photos of the underside of the front rim are needed. From what I know about these and what is evident in the Freikorps photo is that there was a slight front lip on these which is absent on this example. That's a bit of a red flag, IMO.
        Attached Files

Comment

I think this one has a chance. It has the lip at the front, which is missing on the previous one. But, it looks like it's been repainted.
          Attached Files

Comment

If you look extremely hard, I think you might be able to make out part of the swastika. I mean I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with such symbol, but you just never know. Anything is possible in those days. But if you give it a good stare, the light and glare helps a bunch. Let me know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Backhaus View Post
              If you look extremely hard, I think you might be able to make out part of the swastika. I mean I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with such symbol, but you just never know. Anything is possible in those days. But if you give it a good stare, the light and glare helps a bunch. Let me know what you think.
              Sorry. Not possible. These helmets were only worn in Berlin in January and March 1919. The swastika on regular German helmets was only worn by Selbstschutz-Abteilung Heinz in the Baltic in 1919 and the Ehrhardt Brigade during the Kapp–Lüttwitz Putsch in 1920.

Comment

Interesting group of photos Brian. Is this from ebay by chance?

Its an M18 and the liner feels homogeneous to the helmet.... the lip in place of a visor and continuous rolled edge feels right. An in hand assessment would be neat, I think its promising. I've seen period helmets (Bavarian) with what appears to be gloss paint applied, hard to really know in those cases since interior lighting can be misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                  Interesting group of photos Brian. Is this from ebay by chance?

Its an M18 and the liner feels homogeneous to the helmet.... the lip in place of a visor and continuous rolled edge feels right. An in hand assessment would be neat, I think its promising. I've seen period helmets (Bavarian) with what appears to be gloss paint applied, hard to really know in those cases since interior lighting can be misleading.
                  Hi Mike

Yes. These are from the eBay auction. The link has disappeared. So, I don't know what it went for. I think it's likely legit. I also think the repainting might be contemporary rather than a modern refurbishing.

Comment

I can make out a faint outline of an iron cross, not a swastika. Cool helmet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X