Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Militarpass/Soldbucher with Freikorps entries rare ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Militarpass/Soldbucher with Freikorps entries rare ?

I have seen a couple lately and was just wondering if it was a fluke or if there are actually a lot around. I guess with over 400,000 men serving in these units there must be a few out there.

Thanks,

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Queen; 10-21-2002, 08:05 AM.

Can someone please help me with reading these enteries and maybe some info about these units.

Thank you very much.

Eric
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone just help me determine if these units ( Ers. Jnf. Rgt. z.b.V 2 ( Grenzschutz ) ) were definately Freikorps units or not.

Thanks

Comment

I've personally never encountered any unit called z.b.V. before WW2, so that's a new one on me. "Grenzschutz" units were certainly volunteers, but whether that made them Freikorps I don't know, but "Histaria" will.

Scan 1 says "On 11.4.19 joined this company (stamp of 3rd Co./Infantry Replacement Regiment f.(or) s.(pecial) P.(urposes) 2) and transferred on the same day to 9th Co. of the same Rgt."

Scan 2 says "Was assigned to the company below (9th Co stamp) from 11-25 April 1919. On 25th April 1919 transferred to 10th Company."

Scan 3 says "was assigned to the company below (10th Co.) from 26.4-20.5.19. On 21.5.19 discharged at his own request to Warmbrunn/Dist. Cmd. Hirschberg. conduct: good punishments: none signed "Maywald" Lt & Comp. Co."

Otto Maywald was a Leutnant in Rhenish Infantry Regiment 68, discharged in that rank.

I can't place either name. Most "...brunn" place names seem to have been in southeastern Germany and Austria-Hungary, so I assume both places were in Silesia or the Sudetenland. there are too many Hirschbergs to tell which was meant.

What unit was this man in when the war ended? Where was he born?

I have a "Grenzschutz" photo of a Bavarian unit on the new Czech border, so I assume there would have been similar units everywhere.

Comment

Thanks Rick, that helps a lot. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me a little more about this unit. It would be interesting to know how to distinguish Freikorps units from other units that existed at the time.

Thanks again,

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Ersatz-Infanterie-Regiment z.b.V. 2 was indeed a Freikorps unit and was a constituent unit alongside Ersatz-Infanterie-Regiment z.b.V. 1 in Brigade z.b.V. 5. Both regiments were then scheduled to form Reichswehr Infanterie-Regiment 77 but it appears that in August 1919 they formed the supernumery Reichswehr-Schützen-Regiment 93 of the provisional Reichswehr.

Leutnant Werner-Otto Maywald formerly of IR.68 was born on the 28th of March 1899 at Coblenz:

Fahnenjunker: 8 Jun 16
                Fähnrich: 18 Jul 17
                EK II: 27 Dec 17
                Leutnant without Patent: 11 Jan 18
                EK I: 24 Jun 18
                Wound Badge in Silver: 16 Oct 18

Wounded on three occasions during the war he was discharged on the 20 Dec 19 as unfit for further service and granted seniority as a Leutnant from 11 Jan 18.

Regards
                Glenn

Comment

Zooks! As one who has on innumerable occasions been accused of practicing The Dark Arts for my information, at least I can only do that with SENIOR types who left substantial paper trails!

Where on Earth did you get all that on Young Maywald (presumably baby brother of Rudolf, MIA since 10.10.16 near Bovent with RIR 206)???

"Ducks float... what else floats? Wood! Floats like a duck... made out of wood!--- Witch! Witch!!!!"

Comment

Glen and Rick,

Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it. This is truly a great help.

Thanks again and regards,

Eric

Comment

Stammliste

Rick,

the extremely long winded titled "Stammliste der Offiziere, Sanitäts-Offiziere und Beamten des 6. Rheinischen Infanterie-Regiments Nr.68 vom 4. Juli 1860 bis 30. April 1919" And yes, the younger brother of Leutnant Rudolf August Maywald

Glenn
                      Last edited by Glenn2438; 10-21-2002, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Ah! Another sorcery charge thrown outta court!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X