Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those infamous relaxed grooming standards

Gents,

I am always fascinated by pictures of 1970s era BW soldiers with really long hair.

As a retired U.S. infantryman, I couldn't imagine trying to maintain any semblance of personal hygiene during a long field problem with a 'mop' like those pictured. Nor could I imagine trying to get a good seal with a gas mask with a beard.

The Bundeswehr of the 1970s was a far cry from the Wehrmacht of the 1940s (and there is a lot of good to be said about that...), not to mention their fellow Germans serving across the border in the NVA.

While stationed in the BRD in the late 1980s, I was astounded to learn from BW soldiers in my partnership unit (Panzergrenadierbattailon 342) that buzz cuts were strictly prohibited by regulation. Close haircuts were favored by the Neo-Nazi movement and thus the BW could not allow this style of haircut for fear of alarming the public.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Thank god the "German Hair Force" episode did not last very long. The "Haarnetzerlass" (hair net decret) permitted soldiers to wear long hair in general. But soldiers had to wear hair nets during exercises etc. The decret was cancelled one year after it's implementation in 1971.
    Last edited by Proud Kraut; 10-12-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

They look like war protesters. Great pix. Thanks for showing. Regards Robert

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for your comments.

PK, I appreciate the information on the "Hair Net Decree" as it helps me narrow down when the pictures were taken.

All the best,
        TJ

Comment

Last edited by chiffonnier; 08-31-2020, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Hi,

please see here for information, the Haarnetz (Zwiebelsack = sack of onion):

http://dienstfriseur.blogspot.com/20...-friseure.html

Uwe

Comment

Although I can't remember BW personnel with hair this long, I can recall that whilst on exercise in Germany during the late 70's & early 80's there were plenty of Dutch soldiers adorned with such flowing locks !

Comment

[..

Comment

Bundeshair?

N

I miss the 1970's, but not all of it.

Comment

Awesome comments and a great article from Uwe!

Many thanks,
                    TJ

Comment

T

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X