Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What vest is that??

Hi,

in my collection I have an iteresting Vest which seems to be quite unknown.
    In my facebook group there were hundreds of theories but nobody has a definitve answer what the vest is.

The vest ist made very well, mith strong machine made sewings. Zipper and press buttons are standard Bundeswehr items.

There is no label , only a handwritten inscription on the back: SpGrp H

Means it Sportgruppe? Why this kind of vest?

I tried some items to carry. There is a pocket for a SEM52, a compass, handgranades. In the loops in the large pockets fits Uzi magazines and (somewhat tight) G3 magazines.

Is it a trial item? I don´t know. But it is cool

I will fit it fully equipped on a mannequin next days.

Bye
    Frank
    Attached Files

That is an interesting item, for sure. I've never seen anything quite like it for any military. The compass and magazine pockets seem to indicate that it was for field use and not something like base or naval duties. It is also very unlikely to be a fantasy item IMHO.

To me this seems to be something for a forward observer of some sort. Left side for communications equipment (including something large at the waist), right side for small items for things like orientation (compass), marking (smoke grenades), and personal defense (magazines). Maybe the pocket in the left rear is for a headset when not in use?

All speculation, of course

Could the abbreviation be SpezialGruppe?

Steve

Comment

When it's for a forward observer the abreviation could be Späh Gruppe,wich is used in the BW.
      A load carrying jerkin I would call it.

Kees

Comment

Originally posted by chiffonnier View Post
        When it's for a forward observer the abreviation could be Späh Gruppe,wich is used in the BW.
        A load carrying jerkin I would call it.

Kees
        Spähgruppe would be my guess as well. Could it be a custum-made item used by Fernspäh (LRRP) personnel? For sure NO officially issued Bw equipment.

Comment

Cool. Looks like we have a preliminary consensus that this is for a forward observer and that it was custom made (though very professionally).

It must look pretty ugly when fully loaded with equipment. But that might be my personal bias towards symmetry

Steve

Comment

A friends first thought was Sprenggruppe with this writing.Mabe a special garment for tools and Stufe?

Comment

Spreng is "Spr" in short within the Bundeswehr.But who knows who has written the inscription on the vest?

Comment

Last edited by chiffonnier; 09-10-2020, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
                  Spreng is "Spr" in short within the Bundeswehr.But who knows who has written the inscription on the vest?
                  OK,, after 20 yrs. AS an still active Professional Solider he might be wrong.

Comment

Maybe, I have been a engineer and served for 12 years.
                    Sp is Sperre

Comment

Maybe we all can agree that Sp was used for multiple Words in the BW in different Branches.

Comment

Okay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X