Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splittertarn jacket opinions

Hi guys,

I picked up this jacket/anorak today. I know this is 1950s era German camo, but I’ve never seen this type of jacket before. Is it Bundeswehr or BGS? Or neither? Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it is a 50s BGS reversable smock. These were issued by BGS mainly for winter use over the wool uniforms (especially ski training, but also windbreaker and winter camo) in the mid 50s and a bit sporadically at that. Great find btw - a bit rare, look for one myself for long time without success!

In 1958 was replaced by a nonreversable Sumpftarn model, that was almost only used as a windbreaker for ski training. The Sumpftarn model was not considered part of the Tarnanzug in Sumpftarn issued at same time and continued to wear over wool uniform also.

Regards
    Klaus

Comment

Very nice indeed! Looks like a major repair to the right shoulder. Otherwise it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Klaus & Steve!

Comment

Out of curiosity, is the repair fabric the same as the rest of the smock? By eyeball the patch looks to be made from a Zeltbahn hood, which is thinner than the smock material.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
            Out of curiosity, is the repair fabric the same as the rest of the smock? By eyeball the patch looks to be made from a Zeltbahn hood, which is thinner than the smock material.

Steve
            Repair fabric is not the same as the rest of the smock. Not sure if it’s from a zeltbahn hood, but you’re right about it being thinner.

Comment

OK, I think that confirms it was a hood. There is only three items printed in this cloth; Zeltbahn, hood for Zeltbahn, and smock. I presume the smock and the Zelt are made from the same exact cloth. The hood, however, was printed on a very thin poplin type material. The colors are usually quite different from the Zelt, often with a sorta brownish background instead of white.

There might be a tag inside, there might not be. Definitely take a peek for it next time you have a chance.

Steve

Comment

i agree, this is probably hood fabric, which is thinner and colours can vary quite a bit as Steve mention.

Considered the later Sumpftarn smocks are not normally marked except a size label, it is unlikely this model is either (especially considered is reversable). At this time of mid 50s, most BGS uniforms were stamped instead of label however, if marked at all.

Klaus

Comment

Ok thanks for the help. I’m out of town but will post some more photos when I return. I don’t remember seeing a tag or any stamps but will double check. In addition to being thinner, the repair fabric is also non reversible (which you may have already guessed). Unfortunately this means one of the elbows on the white side is splinter camo. But the other repairs are not as visible.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                    i agree, this is probably hood fabric, which is thinner and colours can vary quite a bit as Steve mention.

Considered the later Sumpftarn smocks are not normally marked except a size label, it is unlikely this model is either (especially considered is reversable). At this time of mid 50s, most BGS uniforms were stamped instead of label however, if marked at all.

Klaus
                    That's what I would have thought too, however there's pictures posted here, somewhere, that show a nearly mint example of this smock. There is a fairly larger manufacturer's label inside the lower right pocket. The maker is "Rowin" and in English below a logo it reads "Trade Mark". Sewn into the bottom edge of the maker's label is a standard BGS/BW type size tag.

It looks like the label is original to the smock. I'm wondering if this smock has one as well.

Steve

Comment

After double checking, there are no stamps or tag anywhere on the jacket, including the pockets. Here’s some additional photos (excuse he sunlight) and close up of one of the patches, let me know if there’s anything else I should add a pic of!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the closeups! Looks like that shoulder patch is overkill for the amount of damage it is covering. The cloth in the elbow... does that appear to be the same as the shoulder patch material?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                          Thanks for the closeups! Looks like that shoulder patch is overkill for the amount of damage it is covering. The cloth in the elbow... does that appear to be the same as the shoulder patch material?

Steve
                          Yes, I would say all three patches are the same material.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X