Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhere under there is an M2 carbine

Gents,

One can only imagine how unwieldy and impractical this infrared sight must have been.

All the best,
    TJ
    Attached Files

I handled one during an course in Hammelburg. They have (or had) two very nice examples in their educational collection. Very bad balanced, but that is what they had. I have a M1 and a M2 in my Bundeswehr collection, but a M3 is impossible.

The M3 clearly was nothing for a battle on the move.

Comment

Hi Frank,

You have gotten to handle things I can only dream about!

Many thanks,
      TJ

Comment

I watched a documentary recently on a German design like this. I think it was on the STG-44. The battery pack alone had to be carried in a backpack and only lasted a short period. It was described as being a hassle, especially when there was a possibility of being detected after the first shot. I believe after that it was developed for tanks as well.

Comment

The German Bildwandler 1229 works like the US night vision, but they were constructed parralel in timeline. But after what I read the German set was more complicate, but better in Range.

Both sets were heavy like hell.

A full Korean M3 set sometimes is sold for 5000 - 7000 $. Not that much but still too expensive for me. There are hundreds other items on my list first.

Comment

Originally posted by Almost Samurai View Post
            I watched a documentary recently on a German design like this. I think it was on the STG-44. The battery pack alone had to be carried in a backpack and only lasted a short period. It was described as being a hassle, especially when there was a possibility of being detected after the first shot. I believe after that it was developed for tanks as well.
            Vampir (Zielgerät 1229). If you like good war based fiction, I highly recommend "The Master Sniper" by Stephen Hunter. Vampire has a staring role in it.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X