Early Bundeswehr Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Bundeswehr Uniform

I’ve had this lying around for a few years, and I’m honestly don’t know a ton about it besides that they were used for a short period of time in the 1950s before being replaced. Is this example worth anything, and are they sought after? It seems to be in decent shape, although it has several patches, but is definitely usable.

The "Kampfanzug" (combat dress) with "Splittertarn-Muster" (splinter camo pattern) was introduced in 1956. For several reasons the Kampfanzug was replaced in the 1960's by a new OD combat dress. Training units used the old uniforms until the late 1960's. I have seen these sets (trousers and jackets) sold at ebay for 200 - 300 EURO depending on their condition.

PK

Comment

In brief, the first standard issue production was in February 1956 and final production was February 1957. Yes, just about 1 year of production and that's all. However, they were only officially withdrawn from service in 1959 and unofficially withdrawn in the mid 1960s. The short production run and very long field use is why so few examples exist in decent condition. Your set is in some ways a little better than average (colors, cloth condition), but in other ways not as good (repairs/patches).

What you have is a decent "Green" variant Splittertarn uniform. The "Blue" variant is a little more common, but it seems most people don't care unless the condition is significantly better than average. There's several very limited sub variants that were introduced during production and the "Soft" trials version from January 1956.

The only other items produced are a matching hood (there's several sub variants) and gloves (Blue, Green, and Mixed).

The "Broad" type Splittertarn was produced in December 1957. The "Inverse Broad" appears to have been produced in February 1957, but it is possibly produced in November 1957. I have only seen one example and therefore only one label. It's unclear if it is "11" or "II", but I suspect the latter.

Steve

Comment

there should be label inside with size and date infos, but sometimes these are very faded and hard to read. Trouser belt miss the buckle. Otherwise not much to say, that beside what others said - introduced 1956 and phased out in the 60s.

Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X