Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr Visor Caps

Hi all,

Does anyone know why Bundeswehr visor caps retained the "Third Reich" saddle-form on their crowns? I always thought that the saddle-form was seen as a symbol of the Nazis and was discarded post-1945, at least in the NVA. I have also noticed that the Bundesluftwaffe hats seem to have the tallest crowns of all - it would be greatly appreciated if anyone has an answer!

Thank you.

As far as I know the wearing of saddle-form ("crushed") visors has absolute nothing to do with any political/Nazi attidute. Crushers, so the informal U.S. term, were worn by all ranks of all branches in several countries.
    As far as I know the wear of these modified visors was not uncommon in the NVA as well. IMHO a simple fashion thing.

Comment

Nopegineer,

I agree with Proud Kraut. Just a fashion thing. When civilian life began to return to some form of normalcy after the war ended people wore the same style hats, most of them recycled from previous years, as they had during the war years. So the style continued to be in vogue. It was also in vogue in the U.S. military during the war years. There are many pictures of East German's in uniform wearing the saddle type hat shortly after the war and carrying anti-fascist banners.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X