Uniform Pockets - Things We Used to Carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uniform Pockets - Things We Used to Carry

I have seen some great detailed displays here recently. I was chatting with a fellow collector about the stuff Bw soldiers were carrying in their uniform pockets during cold war times. So maybe I can add some more minor important details for those who are interested in.
    Many things have changed since then so I will focus on the mid 1980's when I was drafted.

Sources: ZDv 37/10 Anlage 1. states which pieces of equipment have to be carried in which pockets in general. Some equipment has to be worn by every soldier at the same place/pocket, e.g. Verbandpäckchen (first-aid-packs, always worn by any soldier inside the left leg pocket) for obvious reasons.
    Beside that each unit has specific rules how to wear and where to carry certain things. Usually ruled in the Verpackungsplan (packaging plan) which is part of the so called "Stubenmappe". A collection of most important unit orders that can be found in every barrack room.

So this was most of the stuff we carried with us when on field exercises in the 1980's. To come straight to the point: two pieces are missing that I can't find at the moment:
    - Faltbrille (folded glasses)
    - Atropine auto injector dummy

To start with the breast pockets of the Feldjacke:
    - Truppenausweis (ID card)
    - Impfbuch (vaccination record)
    - Bw-Führerschein (Bw driving license)
    - Ausweis Helfer im Sanitätsdienst (medical assistant ID)
    - Taschenkarte Sowjetische Militarmission (quick reference card Soviet Military Mission)

In addition the mentioned Schutz- und Sonnenbrille and writing utensils including a 6B!!! pencil,
    a compass and in some units a whistle.

Pants pocket: handkerchief, ear protection (in the 80's a set of SelecTone for firing small arms and Comfit for firing gun, Panzerfaust etc.). Mückenschleier (mosquito veil).

Leg pockets:
    Left side: Both Verbandpäckchen (first aid-packs), Atropine auto injector, triangle cloth,
    Right side: Taschenmesser, always tied with a piece of cord. Taschenkarten (quick reference cards, carried in a used first-aid-pack cover). Schießbuch (shooting log).

Finally the famous "Pi-Päckchen" (Pi = Pionier). These were bags the soldiers had to buy themselves and "equip" with stuff ordered by the squad leaders. Contents vary from unit to unit. We used to carry the following stuff:
    - storm matches
    - candle
    - cork (to camo our faces)
    - cord
    - nails
    - chocolate
    - loose change (to make an emergency call from a phone booth, nix smartphones, lol)
    - mirror
    - etc. etc....

Of course we also carried our purse and personal things but I'm sure the things listed above will be recognized by most of the "cold war warriors" of that time.

Note: Please feel free to add the correct Englisch terms of the equipment I listed. I'm sure I used rather obscure translations for some of the stuff, thanks.
    Last edited by Proud Kraut; 10-31-2017, 03:45 PM.

PK,

Awesome posting! Very informative.

Thanks very much for starting this thread.

All the best,
    TJ

Comment

Awesome breakdown, PK. The effort put into this is much appreciated. I shamelessly stole these photos for my own collection.

Interesting that nails were included in das Pi-Päckchen. What were those for?

Comment

Originally posted by lew View Post
        Awesome breakdown, PK. The effort put into this is much appreciated. I shamelessly stole these photos for my own collection.

Interesting that nails were included in das Pi-Päckchen. What were those for?
        Aha, so YOU stole them? Don't forget to cut me in when selling them, lol.

We used the nails during bivaouc for building dugouts etc.

Another typical 1980's piece of (private purchased) equipment were "Ärmelbüros" (a literal translation would be: sleeve office). Widely used by Officers and NCO with the OD Feldjacke or Feldhemd.

Comment

Typical appearance of an Ärmelbüro on a 1980's Artillery Staff Officer's Feldjacke.

Comment

Wow - it just keeps getting cooler!

Thanks very much.

All the best,
            TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Proud Kraut View Post
              Aha, so YOU stole them? Don't forget to cut me in when selling them, lol.
              Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Neat bit on the nails. Never would have thought of that, but one ain't digging much of anything out this way without heavy equipment.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks guys! I received a question regarding the Litzen (braid) on the OD uniform, so I will add some more small things information: "Flachlitzen in Waffenfarben" (braid in branch colors) were introduced around 1970. Litzen are worn on both epaulettes of the Feldparka, Feldjacke, Feldhemd and back then the OD pullover. I remember that I received 2-3 pairs after completing basic training. The Litzen were delivered to the units on paper cards with 25 pieces (12 and a half pairs, lol).

These are the different colors available (1980's branch designation):
                1. Bordeauxrot – ABC-Abwehrtruppe (NBC-Protection)
                2. Korallenrot – Heeresflugabwehrtruppe (Army Air Defence - obsolete)
                3. Hochrot – Artillerie, Topographietruppe, Generale
                4. Rosa – Panzertruppe, Panzerjägertruppe (Armor, Tank Destroyer)
                5. Hellgrau – Heeresflieger (Army Aviation)
                6. Schwarz – Pioniere (Engineers)
                7. Orange – Feldjäger (Military Police)
                8. Goldgelb – Panzeraufklärer, Fernspähtruppe (Cavalry LRR)
                9. Zitronengelb – Fernmeldetruppe (Signal)
                10. Jägergrün – Jäger, Gebirgsjäger, Fallschirmjäger, Panzergrenadiere (Infantry)
                11. Mittelblau – Technische Truppe (Logistics)
                12. Dunkelblau – Sanitätstruppe (Medical)
                Karmesinrot – Offiziere im Generalstabsdienst (General staff officers - not depicted)
                Weiß – Militärmusik (not depicted)

In addition officer candidates wear a pair of silver braid (OA-Litze) until their promotion to Leutnant.

NCO candidates who have completed their training successfully wear a wider antique gold color Litze (not depicted) until they are promoted to Unteroffizier.

Comment

Probably one of the most under appreciated, under documented part of uniform collecting is a soldier's personal kit. Not to mention where it was typically stored on the soldier's person. Thanks for taking the time to be the exception to the rule, Proud Kraut

Steve

Comment

Proud Kraut, I'll just echo what others have already said; this is an incredibly useful thread packed with all kinds of handy tidbits of info that would be difficult to discover otherwise. Thanks so much for sharing!
                    Terry

Comment

Thanks for the kind feedback, guys! Literally not worn inside pockets but used by officers and NCO's since the early 1970's for decades . Grey leather map-cases, colored wax pencils, stencils etc. These were not officially issued but sold by the Kleiderkasse der Bundeswehr. Some examples that survived the cold war:

Comment

BW Whistle and Lanyard

Lars,
                        can you provide a little info on this Whistle and Lanyard.. I have an example that came with a minty set of Moleskin and other small items. How was it worn and attached ? I assume the green Lanyard is for Panzergrenaidier and probably worn by NCO or Officer.

Any info most appreciated

1944m8
                        Mark
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by kration; 12-21-2017, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Mark, in my opinion a typical company lanyard with whistle for NCO/Officers of a Battalion's 5th Company (green indicates 5th, within the "Prussian color sequence"). Hard to say which branch. Company lanyards were in use by different units of all branches but, as far as I have seen, mostly combat units.

Regards

Lars

Comment

great post,thats what makes this so much fun,attention to detail................dave

Comment

When the beret was not in use in the field, where would the typical Jäger place it and in what way? Dankeschön!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X