BGS Sumpftarn jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGS Sumpftarn jacket

I recently purchased this BGS sumpftarn jacket for the modest sum of £20.00. Whilst the elbows are well worn and the shoulder buttons for epaulettes are missing, the jacket is otherwise in pretty good condition, and I'm hoping to complement it with a matching sumpftarn feldmutze next week.

I've previously collected early BW kit, but my knowledge of BGS is not great, so would I be correct in assuming that this jacket is dated between 1958-1961 (there are no legible stampings) ?

Also, would I be correct in assuming that the correct shoulder buttons for epaulettes would be pebbled white metal buttons by 'Extrafein' ? Obviously some sumpftarn cutouts have been stitched over the button positions for whatever reason, though the lining inside is intact.

Apologies for the images being oversized, but since Photobucket began charging for posting images I've had to resort to another image hosting site and can't work out how to post normal size images !

Modest sum indeed! You stole that bugger! Good for you General going rate for a jacket in this condition is about EUR 100. Especially with buttons intact.

Yes, it is likely 1958 or 1959 production because that's when almost all of them were made. It would be very unusual to have anything made later than that, though for sure it's possible for 1960 and 1961. One thing that would definitely identify it as 1958 is if you see gray-blue cloth on the insides of the pocket flaps. That seems to be a reliable quirk of a portion of 1958 production only.

If you can remove the Sumpftarn shoulder patches without damaging anything, I recommend doing it. You will need the standard silver pebble buttons of 17mm size. Be aware that BW buttons are 1mm larger than BGS, so the flood of buttons out there are most likely not good for BGS. Buttons are difficult to find.

The rank should be easier to locate. Look for the ones with narrow, squared off felt straps on the back. The latter type (~1970) are wider, have a pointed/rounded end, and have a plastic interior.

I hope you're not missing the hood buttons. Your jacket has the less common button type, not that the other type is easy to find either. There should be 3 buttons on the collar and 2 on each shoulder front (total of 7).

Good luck finding a hat at any price, not to mention a steal Beat up hats go for as much as a jacket and they come up for sale only 1-2 times a year on German eBay. Bidding is ferocious. If the source who sold you this jacket has a hat, do not hesitate... buy it!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
      Modest sum indeed! You stole that bugger! Good for you General going rate for a jacket in this condition is about EUR 100. Especially with buttons intact.

Yes, it is likely 1958 or 1959 production because that's when almost all of them were made. It would be very unusual to have anything made later than that, though for sure it's possible for 1960 and 1961. One thing that would definitely identify it as 1958 is if you see gray-blue cloth on the insides of the pocket flaps. That seems to be a reliable quirk of a portion of 1958 production only.

If you can remove the Sumpftarn shoulder patches without damaging anything, I recommend doing it. You will need the standard silver pebble buttons of 17mm size. Be aware that BW buttons are 1mm larger than BGS, so the flood of buttons out there are most likely not good for BGS. Buttons are difficult to find.

The rank should be easier to locate. Look for the ones with narrow, squared off felt straps on the back. The latter type (~1970) are wider, have a pointed/rounded end, and have a plastic interior.

I hope you're not missing the hood buttons. Your jacket has the less common button type, not that the other type is easy to find either. There should be 3 buttons on the collar and 2 on each shoulder front (total of 7).

Good luck finding a hat at any price, not to mention a steal Beat up hats go for as much as a jacket and they come up for sale only 1-2 times a year on German eBay. Bidding is ferocious. If the source who sold you this jacket has a hat, do not hesitate... buy it!

Steve
      Many thanks for the advice. I'm off to The War & Peace show next week, and will try and pick up the appropriate epaulettes and buttons, though I suspect that finding the right buttons amongst the myriad of buttons will be a bit like the proverbial needle in a haystack !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X