No announcement yet.

Rescued Early BGS Wool Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here are some of my 50s BGS shoulderboards (not all of them, but enough to show). All except the slip-on Meister boards are original to the tunics. The adhesive is actually very strong and most not peel.

One of the Meister boards has seperated however, this show clearly construction:

Regards
    Klaus

Comment

Klaus,

While sorting through various BGS badging tonight, I noticed for the first time that it appears there are two distinctly different types of Meister boards. The earlier type, which is in your pictures on the left, has the left and right edge braid overlapping before moving into the center. The later type has a distinct gap between the left and right braid, no overlap. Are you familiar with this difference? Do you know when the style changed?

Steve

Comment

Steve,

interesting, i had not noticed! i have several pairs of the later boards, so i should compare them sometime... unfortunately i have very few dates for shoulderboards except when some ranks introduced/eliminated and can only make vague estimates.

Regards
        Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
          Except that they are the button on type with strap, not sew in type I missed that at first glance too!

Steve
          No. The ones depicted in the post to which I referred are sew-in (no lasche). I think they will work for the period in question.

Klaus, thank you for the clarification. Yes, I, too, have observed that the boards are constructed with glue. In one of my restorations I have been obliged to re-glue. When I posted my observation it was in respect to the terminology which you used (which, to me, seemed to suggest that attachment at the shoulder was by gluing).

N

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X