Help Identifying German(?) G3 Canvas Pouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Reiner,

You are a member of a very exclusive club. Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the canvas type pouch. I never knew it was used by these units as well.

All the best,
    TJ

Comment

Here is a picture of the Bundeswehr double leather pouch that was mentioned earlier by Jens.

Thanks,
      TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

Gents,

Reiner's post prompted me to go searching for a previously posted picture of what I believe to be BEPOs in West Berlin.

If you look closely at the kneeling BEPO on the left with the French MAS 36 rifle, you can just make out some sort of canvas ammo pouch. Whether it is a Wehrmacht style G-43 pouch or G1/G3 pouch is uncertain.

All the best,
        TJ
        Attached Files

Comment

Bepo used the same black leather pouch for FN FAL as the BGS. Sometimes you can ones with state markings, although they are rare. I have seen Hamburg and possibly West Berlin ones. The "pouch" on the kneeling man of the left is actually his pocket. Berlin used the Kar. 98k pouches for the MAS36.

btw are the Bw leather double pouches part of a harness kit like the canvas ones? They not seem to be attached to a belt.

Regards
          Klaus

Comment

G1 Canvas pouch

Hello Klaus,

my canvas pouch is in the same olive (light green) colour as a Beretta-mag-pouch I got from a former S.-H. Bepo-member. Both are exactly made like the BGS-ones. So I think the Bepo got the same Equipment and made the same changes like the BGS. The leather pouches where introduced in 1957, shortly after the canvas ones, which explained the rarity. I can´t upload pictures here, but can send them to you if you want.

Best regards

Reiner

Comment

yes, Bepo generally followed BGS changes with a few exceptions, sometimes with delay. Especially Schleswig-Holstein. But the canvas pouches are different from the ones in the first post.

You can send the photos to me or maybe better to send to Gordon to post, because he is association member.

Regards
              Klaus

Comment

IIRC I was the one that posted that very old BePo picture which I found on eBay. From what I remember the photo was dated to be late 1940s. We had a discussion about it here and there were lots of interesting comments made about the equipment and uniforms (a mix of British and WW2 Luftwaffe).

Based on the timeframe and other equipment I don't think it's likely there is anything in that picture which was made explicitly for BePo or was anything other than an Erzatz item.

Somewhere I have a brown leather G1/G3 pouch in the same style of the BGS/BePo type, but with a snap closure instead of the stud type. No markings on it. I've tried to get it identified but so far no luck. I think there's more oddball stuff out there than we think.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

the Berlin Bepo photo posted is not from late 40s, it is 50s (no Bepo units that early!) and all the gear is indeed made for Bepo except possibly the Kar. 98k pouches the man with the MAS36 wear. The mag pouches are special Berlin issue for Sten mags, leather gear is all Berlin issue, as are the coveralls and rest of uniforms. Weapons supplied by the Western occupation armies. Nothing Luftwaffe or WW2 at all.

Just normal Berlin field uniforms up to early 60s, when a proper Einsatzanzug was introduced.

Regards
                  Klaus

Comment

Gents,

This is a very interesting picture on many levels.

What surprised me however is the ammo pouch being worn by the gunner near the breach of the howitzer.

Thanks,
                    TJ
                    Attached Files

Comment

MagPouch

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                      Gents,

This is a very interesting picture on many levels.

What surprised me however is the ammo pouch being worn by the gunner near the breach of the howitzer.

Thanks,
                      TJ
                      Hi Gents,

seemed to be the experimental Gray/Green Leather MagPouch which was tested with the leather y-straps, but not introduced. There has been a picture on WAF of them and other exp. Equipment worn by 2 BW-Soldiers for testing some time ago...

Best regards

Reiner

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                        Here is a picture of the Bundeswehr double leather pouch that was mentioned earlier by Jens.

Thanks,
                        TJ
                        Here is one for sale, if anyone is interested in:

https://www.kpemig.de/Bundeswehr-Mag...-guter-Zustand

Comment

Already sold. Do anyone has the price for the set? Shame, the pouch is missing in my collection.

Comment

....they asked 120,- € plus postage for one pouch with two mags...

For such a gem not a bad price....but I resisted...

Jens

Comment

I think I bought it if I had see it. Like my set for the FN FAL. Don´t think, buy it. Maybe there won´t be another chance.

Comment

My problem with paying so much for something like this is that a matching set is required for the uniform to be complete. Maybe another one will never come up for sale, maybe only a terrible condition one that doesn't match. Now, if I already had one in similar condition... EUR 120 is a huge price, but I also think I'd do it

Overall the BW prices on that website are too high, from what I saw.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X