Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4./LwAusbRgt 3 - Pennant

Gentlemen,

Another item that appeared while I was moving parts of my collections around. A pennant some recruit bought while he was in Basic Training. According to my research about 100,000 recruits passed through this Kasern in B/W from the time it was opened by the BL in the late 50's until it closed in 2012. The kasern was opened in in 1939 by the Luftwaffe and occupied by the French in 1945.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

This is a nice pennant, very well executed. I think theses pieces were rather popular until the 1980s. Your's brings back some memories:

I will never forget the first payday after I became a recruit in the early 80's. We waited in line until the "ReFü" (Rechnungsführer) appeared with a big steel box full of cash. After we had receive the Wehrsold (something between 200,- and 300 D-Mark if I recall correctly) we had to pass the "Spieß" who offered a couple of "unalterablel" items to become a perfect soldier and a real member of the company (and of course all this stuff was sold to raise some funds for the "Uffz-Kasse" and the next "Uffz-Abend", lol).
    Yes Sir, we all wanted to become good soldiers and part of the team and of course we bought lots of the stuff he offered. Reibert, Pennant, Stickers, Steins etc. etc. (the more I ordered, the more friendly the Spieß inspected me). My pennant got lost sometime but I still have this Stein with the company - um - "insignia" in my possession.

P.S.: @Gordon, I didn't want to hijack your thread, but I couldn't resist posting this "gem" ;-)

Regards, Lars

Last edited by Proud Kraut; 01-14-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Lars,

You didn't hijack the thread. You just added more interest to it.
      I can remember paydays at RCAF Stn. Falconbridge, a radar stn. on the Pine Tree line. We got paid in the gym and the C.O.s wife always stood by the exit door with a box for you to put money in for the Red Cross. Ah, fond memories of being so young!

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Excellent post Gentlemen!

Many thanks,
        TJ

Comment

While we are on the subject. Among gifts and memorabilia purpose pennats were widely used as "Tischwimpel" (desktop flags) for unit's crackerbarrel e.g.

The one depicted below is a one of a kind pennant. In the 1960's German Arty NCOs received basic NCO training at the Artillerie-Unteroffizier-Lehrbatterie (Arty NCO Training Battery) in Baumholder, a unique unit. The pennant was made for the battery's NCO (UffzKorps). It is very well executed with both-sided hand embroidered unit's designation and what appears to be a goat, obviously the battery's "heraldic animal" Please notice the round on the top of the piece. (Thanks to the German Artillery Society).

Comment

Lars,

An impressive pennant and an important part of BW history. Thanks very much for posting pictures of it.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

"Tischwimpel" collecting ...

Originally posted by Proud Kraut View Post
              ... pennats were widely used as "Tischwimpel" (desktop flags) ...
              one depicted below is a one of a kind pennant. ... 1960's German
              Arty ... basic NCO training at the Artillerie-Unteroffizier-Lehrbatterie
              (Arty NCO Training Battery) in Baumholder, ... notice the round on
              the top of the piece. ...
              Hello GC & PK:
              Interesting WG
              "Tischwimpel" pennants.
              IMO a unique collecting category on their own.
              OFW
              (below) "the round on the top of the piece"
              reminds me of some obtained from a WW2
              USAAF B-17 Gunners estate sale years ago.
              Attached Files
              sigpic
              .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

oldflagswanted,

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
                  Hello GC & PK:
                  Interesting WG
                  "Tischwimpel" pennants.
                  IMO a unique collecting category on their own.
                  OFW
                  (below) "the round on the top of the piece"
                  reminds me of some obtained from a WW2
                  USAAF B-17 Gunners estate sale years ago.
                  Hi OFW;

It's an inert cal. 12,7 mm bullet.

Regards

Lars
                  Last edited by Proud Kraut; 01-17-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I would like to share these two very rare pennants, each representing their decade very well.

Pennant of Raketenartillerielehrbataillon 1 (unit existed from 1966 to 1969) and the successor unit Raketenartillerielehrbataillon 72 (unit existed from 1970 to 1981).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X