Bundeswehr Sanitäter Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr Sanitäter Equipment

one topic with lack of information seem to be Sanitäter in the Bundeswehr during the Cold War era, 50s-80s. Find very few German sources and most handle the modern Bw, which has changed much in recent years (Einsatzersthelfer, etc.). Have only found a few photos also.

Interested for the equipment carried in the field, normal ranks for such training, Waffenfarbe (match that of Kp. or always blue?), etc. Lowest level was attached on Kompanie level I think? I know, that everyone received basic first aid training like today.

Regards
    Klaus

Klaus,

Here is an English translation of the training currently given to a Sanitäter in the Bundeswehr. There is probably not a lot of difference to what was given in the time frame you mentioned. I believe they carried a one litre canteen as was common during WWII. I have some pictures of Sanitäter in the Bundeswehr during the early years of the BW but wasn't able to find them this morning. I'll keep looking.

Regards,

Gordon

Basic training in the medical service of the Bundeswehr - What awaits the recruits?

The three-month basic training in the medical corps of the army is composed of the two-month basic module for general military basic proficiency of military personnel in the Medical Service of the Armed Forces (AllgMil GrundBefäh MilPers SanDstBw) and the subsequent one-month extension module together (ErgMod AllgMil GrundBefäh MilPers SanDstBw).

Recruit in the dry training of the new shooting training concept
    Show larger image

Physical and mental stress

The training is carried out according to the principles of the apprenticeship, that is, the recruit is explained at the beginning of the training goal and purpose as well as connections with other training programs clarified. Physical and psychological stresses are gradually increased without being overwhelmed. Through longer periods of service and exercise camps, the recruits are brought to the requirements of the military service.

Further training courses include the training of hands and shots, the training in watch and telecommunication as well as the first aid training to the employment aid A, which takes particular account of the requirements of assistance under operating conditions.

Training

In the subsequent one-month supplementary module, the recruits are trained in theory and practice in the special tasks as medical personnel of the Bundeswehr. A written and a practical examination in the supplementary medical education together with the successful completion of various shooting exercises with gun and pistol confirm the conclusion.

Educational content

Inner guidance

Wehrrecht
    Conception of the Inner Leadership
    Political education and up-to-date information
    General troop training
    Intercultural Competence
    Care and support for soldiers
    Military service
    Sports and Military Fitness

General sports education
    Theoretical foundations and practical application Military fitness
    Medical training of all troops: Training

Battlefield and Injury Patterns
    Special first-aid measures in civilian
    Basis for the combat service of all troops

Location- and order-dependent movement in the field with gun
    Camouflage of the individual guards / individual contactor
    Disability in the field
    Observing and compiling messages
    Living under conditions of use
    The soldier as a patrol on foot
    The soldier / the soldier as a safeguard / alarmpost
    Movement in terrain with mutual safety
    Defense from the alarm position
    Shooting with hand weapons

Shooting guns, shooting rules and safety regulations for hand weapons
    Basic training, shooting techniques and shooting exercises with rifle and pistol
    Close range shooting with gun and gun
    Telecommunication service of all troops

Training on the radio and field telephones
    Formal service

In addition

Military Security
    Theoretical and practical training
    ABC -Schutzmaßnahmen the individual soldier / the individual soldier
    Environmental protection and self-protection in the federal army
    Training contents of the supplementary module (General military basic military staff for the medical service of the Bundeswehr)

Supplementary medical education
    Traumatological acute care including wound care and dressage training
    First-time care of life-threatening diseases
    Rescue tactics using cover
    Anatomy and physiology
    Action Training Heart-lung resuscitation
    Instrument and equipment customer
    Drug Therapy
    Profession and law
    Telecommunication service of all troops

Training on the radio
    Practical exercises of radio operation
    Shooting with hand weapons including wax training

Shooting exercises with gun and pistol
    Military Fitness and Sports

Military specific training
    Sports
    In addition

Training in rescue
    Inner guidance
    Military service

Comment

Gordon,

thanks, but I have much of this kind of information in German already and many things were changed after experience in Afghanistan... I look for infos, photos or equipment used by units on the Kompanie level during Cold War or just general Sanitäter related collections, because it is not topic, that has been discussed on WAF in detail. This would also have been before the formation of the Zentraler Sanitätsdienst around 2000.

Main reason I ask is, because another collector, who is not member here, ask for help to put together ca. 80s Sani display and I have not been able to find much, even in German. It appear to me from photos and vague infos, that equipment was the Sanitätstasche and armband, but not clear what ranks and Litzen colour are most correct at that time (for infantry Kp like PzGr, Jäger, etc.).

Regards
      Klaus
      Last edited by Klaus1989; 12-22-2016, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Some first remarks regarding the organisation/structure of the Heeressanitätsdienst (Army Medical Service) on Battalion level during the cold war era.
        Each Bn had one Sanitätszug (Medical platoon). This platoon was part of the 1./- Stabs- und Versogungskompanie (1st Company). In peacetime these platoons plus a number of Doctors (Stabsärzte) run the "Sanitätsbereich", the Bn's Medical Center.
        In wartime (and during exercises) the platoon was supposed to run the "Truppenverbandsplatz" (dressing station). In addition one Sanitätstrupp (Medical squad) was attached to each company then. The personnel mentioned before wore dark blue Litzen/Kragenspiegel as their branch insignia and the unit's insignia on their field and dress uniforms.

Each company itself had a number of "Helfer im Sanitätsdienst" (first aider). These were infantrymen, gunners etc. that received a short medical training to apply first aid, support the SanTrupp etc. Usually the Kompanietruppführer had a stock of medical equipment like Sanitätstaschen (first aid kit bags), Tragetücher etc. for training purposes etc. These guys were not part of the Sanitätsdienst and wore their unit's Litzen etc. Will see if I can dig out some stuff next year.

Comment

thanks! This is infos, that I look for. I could find some about organisation, but not much before 1990s. Was it common in the 80s and earlier to train the vehicle driver for the Gruppe as Helfer im Sanitätsdienst like more recently?

Some sources claim the armbands with small red cross were for Helfer. Would the Sanitätstaschen have been issued to them, when needed?

Regards
          Klaus

Comment

Klaus,

I found this thread, posted by Steve, just now. Shows an early tunic, dated 1960, that fits well with your topic.

Regards,

Gordon

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=sanitats

Comment

Klaus,

You did not mention medical vehicle transports at the start of your thread but I think there use would reflect on the what was carried in the field by men attached to a medical unit. Here are pictures of two. The Hotchkiss light tank from the 60s and the vehicle that followed it the M113.

Regards,

Gordon
              Attached Files

Comment

originally started to look for infos about personal fieldgear carried by Sanis/medics, but I like the idea of a general medical reference thread. Searched here and it seem this subject has not really been covered much here!

Regards
                Klaus

Comment

Klaus,

Here is one from what appears to be 50/60s Sanitats troops in the field. They don't wear anything to identify them as such. Just the red crosses on their Mercedes trucks.

Regards,

Gordon
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                    thanks! This is infos, that I look for. I could find some about organisation, but not much before 1990s. Was it common in the 80s and earlier to train the vehicle driver for the Gruppe as Helfer im Sanitätsdienst like more recently?
                    I do not know if there were any general rules but it makes sense for these branches/units where the drive does not "operates" with the rest of the crew (e.g. towed field arty).

Would the Sanitätstaschen have been issued to them, when needed?
                    This is correct.

I have attached some pics of the Verwundetenbergetuch, part of the equipment of Sanitätstrupps and Helfer im Sanitätsdienst.

Comment

thanks for the photos and additional infos!

Would the Santitätshelfer have worn different armband than regular Sanitäter? Some German sources mention armband with small red cross instead of the larger reversable armband for them, but i can not find confirmation of this.

Regards
                      Klaus

Comment

thanks for the photos and additional infos!

Would the Santitätshelfer have worn different armband than regular Sanitäter? Some German sources mention armband with small red cross instead of the larger reversable armband for them, but i can not find confirmation of this.

Regards
                        Klaus
                        This is correct. The confirmation can be found in the A2-2630/0-0-5 (former ZDv 37/10) No. 413. It states that Helfer wear a Rotkreuzarmbinde with smaller red cross.

Regards

Lars

This is the standard reversible Rotkreuzarmbinde for Sanitätspersonal:

Last edited by Proud Kraut; 01-08-2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Lars,

You beat me to posting pictures of the armband. Thanks for confirming Klaus's question. Your armband seems to be stamped on the white side? Mine isn't but it does have a NSN on it plus the manufacturing date of VI/62. Also a picture of the armband in wear in 1968

Regards,

Gordon
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some images, used for training Sani´s of the Bundeswehr.
                            Explanatory notes on the injuries on the backside of the photographs.
                            Injuries made-up.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=751835

Comment

which unit would normally stamp the armbands with the Dienstsiegel? Would the issuing unit be different for Sanpersonal and Helfer im Sanitätsdienst? Minor interesting detail, that I have never found clear answer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X