Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Airfield Support Vehicles

Hello Gents,

I don't know if we already have a thread on this subject or even if there is any interest.

In any event, please see the following two images. I'd be interested in any comments. There may be some interesting uniform notes as well.

Thanks,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Here is the other image.

Thanks again,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

Always interested in something new. What sort of equipment are we looking at in your photograph?

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

I think it is a bomb lifter.

Comment

TJ,

I've looked on line for "flight line support equipment" and a"ircraft support equipment" in the BW without any success. Interesting topic so I'll keep looking.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon and Frank,

Thanks for your comments. I have no idea what this support vehicle was used for but I think Frank's suggestion is very plausible.

It appears as though the lads also had access to a shop truck. I think this is a Lkw 5 t gl MAN 630 L2A (someone please verify, I have a bad track record on vehicle identification).

Maybe the tactical markings on the truck will give us a clue to the support gear functionality?

These guys seem very casual. I always think of the early Bundeswehr as being more concerned with personal appearance.

Thanks for the help.

TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

Ah !

There they did go ... I saw these pictures on Ebay a while ago ...

I don`t have my reference books at hand but this should be a small crane ...

Jens

Comment

...and here we go. Not with something from my reference books but with a kind of pre viev for the next book ... the picture of this crane was taken on the Cologne-Wahn airfield around the year 1960. This - and lots of other pictures of airfield equipment - were taken on order of the former commader of the airfield. In volume 2 you also can see sevreal of these pictures, for example the Ford Nato-Goat or the Borgward B1500 light truck...

Jens

Comment

Jens,

Great photo! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for Volume II; the first book was a beauty.

Many thanks,
                  TJ

Comment

"I can't wait for Volume II;"

Sadly Torsten from VS books was not able to find a partner publisher / book-dealer in the states willing to take the book in his catalogue making the acess easyer for you over the Atlantic ... but he will be glad to send you a copy directly, as well as I can do that too...

Jens

Comment

Jens,

Great photo. Now we know that TJs first post shows us the same crane as your picture.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X