Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr Fahrradkompanie Photo

Gents,

I didn't know that the Bundeswehr employed bicycle troops until I came across this photo.

The photo was reportedly taken by a press agency in Hammelberg in 1988.

Hammelberg was (is?) the home of the infantry school and I'm wondering if this was a demonstration of some sort.

Note that only the soldier at far left has the green infantry identifier on his epaulette and that they are all wearing side caps instead of the green berets of a Panzergrenadier or Jaeger. There are differences in the bikes as well with only the bike at far left having a completely darkened light and handle bars.

What do we know about these guys?

Many thanks,
    TJ
    Attached Files

The Bundeswehr did not have an bicycle units, especially not in the 1980's. It's probably a press photo of 3 soldiers carrying their "Dienstfahrrad". As far as I remember, each company/battery had one of these bicycles.

Comment

Copy that.
      We should have heard about such unique Unit before if they really had one.
      Just to clarify a bit, the Infantry School is at Hammelburg not -berg.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hello Gents,

Another photo of the non-existent bicycle company......

I have to think it was experimental and that CollectingSteve has at least three sets of every non-standard, one-off uniform designed especially for them....

Cheers,
          TJ
          Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

now you have made me curious. Could you provide some more informations about the photograph. Was it taken in Hammelburg as well, where did you find it, any caption?

Thank you!

Comment

Hallo P.K.,

In a bit of a rush this evening - will provide more information on these eBay sourced pictures tomorrow night. You are correct; c. 1988 at Hammelburg.

Many thanks,
              TJ
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting stuff! Well, given the location and the fact that nobody's seen anything like this before... I agree with the theory that it must have been some sort of experiment. I would have included "competition" as a possibility, but these guys do not look like they are organized for sport.

Heh... and no, I do not have any experimental bicycle specific uniforms Closest I have is TruVsu Kradhose in 5FT. I'll probably never find the matching jacket

Steve

Comment

They have also appeared on TV it would seem.

Günther Jauch - Fahrradstaffel der Bundeswehr 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaJSNO3Pvww

Phil.

Comment

Nice video!

Does the fact that TJ's photos and this video are all from 1988 indicate that this effort lasted only 1 year? Perhaps the end of the Cold War removed whatever motivation they had to sustain this exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie_Brown View Post
                      They have also appeared on TV it would seem.

Günther Jauch - Fahrradstaffel der Bundeswehr 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaJSNO3Pvww

Phil.
                      Great video, another riddle solved! Herr Hauptmann states in this interview from 1988 that these soldiers are members of the Infantry School in Hammelburg (they are all wearing the Infantry School pocket hanger). He says that there were platoon level trials ongoing since 1985 to use bicycles (like in the swiss army) for Home Defence Forces (Territorialheer/Reserve).
                      My read is that these trials were discontinued in 1989 latest with the downfall of the iron curtin and the starting disbanding of the mass of the Territorialheer.
                      Last edited by Proud Kraut; 09-04-2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Comrades,

Thanks very much for the great information.

I appreciate your help.

All the best,
                        TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X