Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen this one before

Gents,

This recent eBay offering struck me as unusual. What do we know about it?

Thanks,
    TJ
    Attached Files

TJ,
    a few german bases now have civilian guards, and on ammo depots with a civilian guard also have dog handler and for this few is this badge made.
    Regards
    Michael

Comment

Since TJ's mystery has been solved, I hope he doesn't mind me piggybacking two more mystery items on top of his. This thread can be a repository for all kinds of unknown items that don't fit anywhere else.

First is this curious looking cap, with a reversible Flecktarn print that I've never seen before:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-1960s...p2047675.l2557

The 'Fall/Arid" side almost seems to have only 4 colors instead of 5, but there is some hint of a darker brown shade mixed in there somewhere.

This is not a documented '76 trial pattern. So could it be the product of an earlier effort as the seller is suggesting, which would push the birth of Flecktarn much earlier than is currently known, or is this a commercial creation?

Another curiosity is seen among the new arrivals at Collector's Guild:

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Other...s/C072873.html

It's one of those items that make you go - Hmmmmm, Idunno'bout that...

What do you guys think?

------

Comment

Originally posted by FwSchultz View Post
        TJ,
        a few german bases now have civilian guards, and on ammo depots with a civilian guard also have dog handler and for this few is this badge made.
        Regards
        Michael
        Michael,

Makes good sense. Thanks for the information.

Gene T,

I'm stumped too, but I bet collectingSteve has about eight versions of each item...

All the best,
        TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Gene T View Post
          First is this curious looking cap, with a reversible Flecktarn print that I've never seen before:
          This guy has been trying to sell the hat for at least 8 months. That long ago I gave him some advice about what the hat most likely is, and definitely isn't, as well as some guidance on price. He chose to not incorporate any of it in his subsequent relistings.

Here is what I wrote:

I have a single sided example (the brown side) made from the same thick cloth. It has an official tag with the date of 1985. Mine is a Modell B, which means there was at least a Modell A. My guess is your hat is from the same trial. For absolute sure it isn't from the 1960s as the first trials of Flecktarn was in 1976. Based on your description of what you saw while in Germany, you most likely saw "Flecktarn Klein", officially called TrVsu 76 Modell A. All 5 models were trialed at Hamelburg.

I just checked my references and found pics of a one sided "green" hat with the same TrVsu label as mine. The cloth and pattern appears to be the same as yours, though the colors are more faded (sunlight fading is my guess). I also found two different solid color "oliv" hats also from the same trials. All are 1985 dated. To me it's pretty clear your hat almost definitely came from the 85 trials, though without a tag it's not easy to verify it was an actual trials piece.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X