Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritter Pattern Canteen - "Kokonuss"

Gents,

A word from our sponsors (i.e. yours truly) on the Ritter Pattern Canteen. At least three different models were used in the post-war era, one by the BGS, and two by the Bundeswehr. The below blurb focuses on the Bundeswehr models. One had the wood laminate (resin) bottle covered in an olive drab coating; the other was plain. The picture illustrating the blurb appears to be of the coated variety.

By all means, please correct any errors you find.

Many thanks, TJ

The Ritter Pattern canteen was based on the tropical canteen designed for the Afrika Korps during World War II. It was made by the same wartime manufacturer, Heinrich Ritter of Essinglen. The aluminum body was covered in wood laminate, which was in turn coated with a rubberized olive drab finish. This design was originally conceived to prevent thirsty Afrika Korps soldiers from burning their hands when reaching for a drink in the North African Desert. There is a running gunfight over on the Wehrmacht Equipment Forum with many forum members contending it never made to Africa during the war. German soldiers issued with this type canteen in other tropical climes were said to have knick-named it the “coconut” (Kokonuss). A massive aluminum cup with a straight handle sat atop the water bottle. The bottle had “cross” style green leather straps like the M1931. The vertical strap served to keep the cup firmly attached to the top of the canteen. The horizontal strap provided additional support and stability. The metal pressure clip was sewn near the top of the vertical strap. An example that I recently examined was manufactured in 1958. It is stamped “H.R.E. 58” on the cap and at the base of the cap handle. The Heinrich Ritter company engineered the method to wrap metal with synthetic resin in the late 1930's and the patent was filed in 1940. It appears however that the patent wasn't granted until after the war in 1954.
    Attached Files

A side-by-side view of the BW Ritter Pattern canteens.
    Attached Files

Comment

Rear view.
      Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

nice thread. You forgot the very early large Kokosnuss with large cup used briefly by Bundeswehr in 1956. Only 1000 or so pieces were made.

Regards
        Klaus

Comment

Gents,

Here is the "big boy".

Klaus,

I always considered the big one a BGS model. The BW used it too?

Thanks,
          TJ
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
            Gents,

Here is the "big boy".

Klaus,

I always considered the big one a BGS model. The BW used it too?

Thanks,
            TJ
            No, BGS never used it. BGS models are similar to WW2 style (with couple minor differences). It was first model of canteen used by Bundeswehr. Issued to first 1000 volunteers (supposedly along with the smaller version without the rubberised coating).

Regards
            Klaus

Comment

Kokosnuss

Hi Gents,

interestingly the big ones are only manufactured in 1955. I´ve seen no Ritter Canteens with the dates 1956 + 1957 until today. Last week I got one with leather straps, "Ritter Alfurit" stamp and an Bakelit Wehrmacht-type cup with no stampings on a flea market; the Lady I got it from told me that it was worn by her late husband during his BGS-Service in the late 50ies. Interesting Variations never seem to stop coming...

Best regards

Reiner

Comment

yes, the large Ritter canteens were all made 1955 for first recruits in Jan. 56 from what I have heard. The bakelite cup on BGS canteen is interesting, not sure, if they originally went together, because I have only seen alu cups in period photos.

Here are couple of BGS canteens, that I have. The left one is made from various wartime and postwar parts with civilian bottle. The one on right is uncommon variant with leather straps, dated 1957.

Regards
                Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X