Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geschwader Steinhoff Tunic

Gentlemen,

Thanks to a friend I have been able to acquire this interesting tunic. I already have a unfiorm for a Col. in Geschwader Steinhoff but this tunic will be a good addition to my collection.
    I do have question for the forum members. Does anyone know what the metal badge on the right breast represent? It appears to be designed with definite American Air Forces influence. When I first saw the design in the centre of the badge the frist thing that came to mind was Decimomannu Air Base on the island of Sardnia . Decimomannu is the home of the AWTI (Air Weapons Training Installation) established 55 years ago by the NATO partnership of Italy, Germany, Great Britain and Canada. The AWTI exploits an ACMI (Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation) range where air-to-air missions and DACT (Dissimilar Air Combat Training) are remotely monitored and recorded, and an air-to-ground bombing range at Capo Frasca, where pilots can train dropping both dumb and smart weaponry. Deci, which is what we called it when I was there, is operated by the Italian Air Force with the other NATO countries as lodger units. The fly in the ointment here is that there appears to be a crown on the top of the badge but not one used by Italy. At least as far as I know.
    Anyone have any other comments on this badge?

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

#2,
    Attached Files

Comment

BW Luftwaffe Tunic

I have to say the quality of these current LW uniforms is awful. Cheap looking synthetic fabric. loose baggy cut. The older blue-grey tricot uniforms were much better cut, fitted properly, and did not crease and crumple like these.

Comment

The center of the badge (bullseye) is similar to the USAF weapons school patch. I think you're on the right path -- re: range-related.

Comment

Is it a bullseye or a (battlemented) radar screen?

Comment

I think I found it: Italian Military Air Traffic Controll

http://www.tuttomilitare.it/distinti...azio-aereo.asp

Comment

Thanks Frank. Very interesting info. That makes very good sense considering the Luftwaffe badge below it. I've done a BING translation from the site you directed us to. Once the badge is sold the info will disappear.

Regards,

Gordon

Metallic Silver badge from uniform Airspace Controller of the air force

The air force Airspace Controller ensures the training of staff employed in the field of air traffic, air defense and meteorology.

In relation to the needs of use air tool, place and qualification courses and study activities aimed at professional improvement and increased standardization.

The same badge (7.2 x 2.2 cm. cm.) can be proposed also for dinner (5 x 1.5 cm) and reduced from eyelet for civil suit.

-See more at: http://www.tuttomilitare.it/distinti....WDlzxv6d.dpuf

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X