BW field cap,blue cotton 1963

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klaus,

Last night I tried to find the thread I posted the pictures to, but no success. Fortunately, I do not give up so easily and I found it

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=work+uniform

Here is one picture:

Nico confirmed that it was a special work uniform for specific duties, such as working in workshops. I do not know where the uniform is right now so I can not compare the hat to it in person. But looking at my pictures, and searching my memory, the cloth of the hat is definitely much lighter weight than the uniform.

It would make sense for this uniform to have a hat, so it is a possibility. The dates are the same too. The jacket I have is 1962 the trousers are 1964 and the hat is 1963.

Steve

Comment

thanks, I must have missed the thread. I see, that you meant Bw and not BGS. Have little idea about early Bw work uniforms.

Regards
      Klaus

Comment

Hi Klaus,

Until I saw this odd BW work uniform on eBay, and bought it, I had never heard of it before. It went through Jens' hands before it came to me and I don't think he had ever seen one either. Based on what Nico said about it, I am sure these were not issued in large numbers and were most likely destroyed during their service. Workshops are not kind on uniforms

To clarify, there are two distinct styles of hat. Ignoring the color and badging, there is a BGS type (identical to Sumpftarn type) and Bundeswehr type (identical to the early Moleskin type). The cloth and colors of both hats match early BGS and Polizei Einsatzanzug, so from that standpoint the hats could be used by either.

From the examples I received the badging comes in two types. On the BGS type there is a small green backed bullseye, on the BW type there is a larger bullseye on an olive colored background. The small green type seems to be more consistent with Polizei, but I don't have examples of BGS hats from this period so maybe BGS used it as well. The other type of badge is consistent with both BW and BGS, but I do not think it is consistent with Polizei.

Based on this I am unsure if the BGS type cap was worn by BGS or Polizei, but it wasn't worn by Bundeswehr. The BW style cap was probably not used by Polizei, but I suppose it could be used by either BGS or the BW workman's uniform (in place of Moleskin).

Unfortunately I don't know anything more than this.

Steve
        Last edited by Collectinsteve; 05-23-2015, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Bundes field cap

As promised more photos. It's not as blue as shown in original pictures, but a blue gray. Looks to have had a diamond BeVo cockade sewn on it and a better shot of the makers mark. Looks like the cap to match the Fatigue/Work uniform posted earlier. Comments welcome and a lead to buttons and a cockade so I can restore it. Thanks all!
          Attached Files

Comment

Bundes field cap

BWf
            Attached Files

Comment

Bundes field cap

BWe
              Attached Files

Comment

Bundes field cap

BWd
                Attached Files

Comment

Bundes field cap

BWc
                  Attached Files

Comment

Bundes field cap

BWb
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bundes field cap

BWa
                      Attached Files

Comment

ok, definitely not Bundesmarine or Westberliner Polizei. This is same as one of the styles Steve has. Cut is like Bw, but colour is more like BGS and Polizei. I think, that they are variation of BGS caps for the Einsatzanzug (standard version is same cut as Sumpftarn caps). Polizei is unlikely, as most Länder had different cut and insignia from this.

Regards
                        Klaus

Comment

Here are two of my caps. Note that the badging and buttons were removed from identical hats that were in poor condition and smaller sizes. The BW style hat is waiting for me to get the correct color thread. The BGS hat is pretty much identical to factory condition (even inside with the liner as I do NOT stitch through liners).

Here is a picture of each hat on top of two different 1960s items. The BGS hat is on top of a 1964 BGS hooded jacket, the BW hat is on top of a Polizei NRW Einsatzhose. Interestingly, the cloth of the hats matches the item underneath, but does not match each other. The BGS cloth is a little thicker and coarser than the mystery hat and Polizei items I have.

Steve

Comment

Interesting, however NRW had their own woven cloth trapezoid for their field caps. Several North German Länder had Bundeskokarde by itself on wool Bergmützen at various times though.

Regards
                            Klaus

Comment

Yeah, I have a NRW cap like that. Though, of course, 1963 is a timeframe that is not very well documented. That always makes me cautious when drawing conclusions. The late 1960s-present, on the other hand, is much easier to be sure about.

OK, so are we leaning towards thinking the BW style hat is Polizei?

I have another Polizei Einsatz jacket in the same color, but I do not know what Länder it is from. The arm badge is missing and it's the generic shield shape and there is no indication of year, so it could be one of a few different Länder.

The S-H uniforms I have are more green in color, so I do think S-H can be ruled out.

Steve

Comment

to my knowledge, Bremen, S-H and possibly Hamburg and Niedersachsen used Kokarde alone on Bergmütze at various times. Not sure about fieldcaps (have never seen cotton field uniforms for Bremen or Hamburg).

Regards
                                Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X