early tank Panzer Barret? Panzerschutzmütze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early tank Panzer Barret? Panzerschutzmütze

Hi just got this and before putting it on e stand I would like to veryfy that this is aa early Bundeswehr Hardhat for driving in side a tank Kopfschutz? Is thsi part rare and worthy much?
    Thanks
    Dirk
    Attached Files

Yup, that's exactly what it is. Used in the early 1960s. Yours still has a label in it (good!), so there should be a date on it. My guess is 1963.

These aren't easy to find, but they aren't what I call rare either. Under EUR 50 for the most part for sure, sometimes as low as EUR 25 if there isn't a bidding war for a specific example. I can't tell what the size is (looks small), but if it is 58-60 you can probably get some good money for it. Usually the ones I see for sale are tiny (54) or small (56).

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve!
      it is a 57cm and now sold :-)
      Regards Dirk

Comment

I'm glad it found a new home! It is in very nice condition.

Steve

Comment

nice PZ beret ,here is mine
          thanks james

Comment

Nice 1st Model Panzerkombi! Those aren't easy to find.

Steve

Comment

Thanks steve ,this one is dated 1959 and is quite special ,it has provenance to a former Wehrmacht veteran and EK 1 /11 holder amongst other awards .he was a Major within the bundeswehr when issued with this panzer combination. a few years later he was promoted to Lt Colonel and became Commanding Officer of Panzer Battalion 314

Comment

Yes, I think "special" covers the situation very nicely I've seen a couple of 1960 manufactured Panzerkombis, but not a 1959. I'm sure that makes it rarer.

Steve

Comment

Thanks steve ,the combi has the owners name on the label and elsewhere plus the written provenance from the mans son he too was an officer in the bw his father was also in the bgs in the formative years ,i like the internal pistol holder ,can i pick your brains and ask what the two buttons one atop the other were used for i know the uniforms had these for fixing the battery signal torch would this be the case for the pz combi too

Comment

Thanks for the detailed pictures! Always good to have pics of labels to compare against other versions. I have one of these somewhere and I don't think it has the leather pull tabs on the zippers, but for sure the 1959 and 1960 types do. I'll have to find mine.

As for the buttons, I always assumed they were for the field flashlight just like the regular uniform. It would make sense for crew members having to do work on the vehicle at night (fixing a track, for example), or doing external security, or simply having to go get some food.

Steve

Comment

Thanks steve for your thoughts on those buttons the zipper is quite stiff to close ,is it true you can add some form of lubrication to these ,id hate to stain the material ,as these suits were used for many decades i decided to add a few more modern headgear example's to reflect this
                      thanks james

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X