West German beret badge left in surplus parka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West German beret badge left in surplus parka

I received my West German Gore-tex parka from Sportsmans Guide in time for Christmas. Very pleased with it. It's not brand new, but it's in very good shape.

It was advertised as "X-large". I'm not sure about that, but it fits me (U.S. size 44 Reg.) about right. I like wet weather gear to fit very loose, and long enough so that I can sit down on the ground without getting my butt wet. I'd be interested in knowing what these care instructions say.

Somebody took the trouble to remove the German national colors from the sleeves, but they left some stuff in the pockets: 3 cigarrette butts and this badge. German Field Artillery, maybe? Anybody know for certain?

Here's the back of the badge. For a beret, I believe.

its an artillery cap badge from the actual german forces.

Comment

That's surprising that the flags would be removed. Most all of the German surplus that I've seen still has the flags on them. Once in a blue moon I've seen a rogue shoulderboard rank insignia, or one of the colored bands used to indicate branch of service left on a surplus shirt or jacket.

Nice unexpected find.

Only once have I been treated to a cigarette butt in the pocket, and that was a surplus French Foreign Legion uniform.

--Chris

Comment

I was expecting the flags to be left on the parka, since the catalog picture showed them. I did intend to remove them before wearing it, though, out of respect for our Bundeswehr allies. (Hope they're still our allies, anyway.)

I guess soldiers are the same all over the world. When I was in the Army, my pockets always had cigarrette buts in them from smoking them myself or pcking them up during a police call.

Still hate to see butts on the ground. Civilians are slobs sometimes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X