Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sumpftarn Zeltbahn Question

I recently picked up nicely worn in zelt:

In fact, so nicely worn in it appears to have been issued to two different guys during its life. One has his name sewn in near the edge and the manufacturer's faded stamp (which reads "Dr. Lange & Co. 3/59") The stamp is washed out in the picture buts it's decently legible in person:

The other guy sewed his tag in the flap that passes over your head:

Anywho, my question follows. I have flipped the zelt over so that the buttons are easier to see but it is identical on both sides. What is the purpose of the three buttons marked by hex drivers and what is the purpose of the tab with two button holes also marked by a hex driver? The buttons and tab are on both sides of the center line and, as stated, are on both the printed and non printed sides of the zelt.

Last edited by BWilhelm; 08-21-2014, 01:34 AM.

By the way, Dr. Lange & Co. opened its doors in 1953 and is still in business making tents and related items to this day:

http://www.lanco.eu/en/

Comment

Nice Zeltbahn! I have similar one with same maker as yours, but dated 2/59. Named to a H. Wegner.

To answer your questions about the buttons, this is feature present on BGS and Polizei Zeltbahnen in all patterns. I think, that it for to build some of the larger tent combinations than the normal 4-man version. The WH Zeltbahnen have also a couple extra buttons (although not as many) for this purpose. How this work exactly, I am not sure as I have not seen instructions for it.

Regards
      Klaus

Comment

Nice example! Also nice to have an ink stamp. From what I've seen Lange made the vast majority of these and in the year 1959. At least the ones that are marked seem to be almost exclusively Lange. I have pictures of one possibly made in 1963 by Paul Schmalz in Stuttgart.

I agree with Klaus that the buttons and the tabs are for extra construction options.

Steve

Comment

nice one!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X