BGS Snow Smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGS Snow Smock

bought this interesting 1959-dated BGS snow smock from one of my collecting sources recently. Still look for evidence in period photos, as it is unknown to me so far. Obviously there was still need for snow camo after reversible splinter/white smock phased out 1957/58 and Zeltbahn would seem not always so practical.

Smock is knee-length and open on sides up to armpits. Sides and neck can be closed with cloth ties, I assume, so to adjust width, depending on how many layers under it and who wear it. Hood has drawstring and cuffs are elastic. Stamped "I-BGS-6/59". Cut is oversized for fit over tunic, mantel, etc. Material is lightweight linen type (like bedsheets!). It has signs of light use, so was obviously worn.

Regards
    Klaus

Hi Klaus!

I have a snow smock dated 1967 and appears to be exactly the same as yours. Mine has a large label in the back of the neck instead of the small label like yours. Mine is a "Grösse II", which shows our two smocks use an abstract size system.

I haven't been able to find pictures of this in use either. I do have a picture of a bunch of BGS guys in a cross country ski competition wearing solid white smocks, but it is impossible to say for sure what they look like. The picture is not good enough.

Because our two smocks are identical (effectively, at least) then it appears production was for probably at least 10 years. I am surprised there aren't more of these around.

Steve

Comment

thanks for that info - solve the mystery to me, what the "I" mean. Interesting, that you also have one. I have never seen these before. Is your label like the standard clothing labels from 1960s uniforms?

Regards
      Klaus

Comment

Hi Klaus!

Besides yours, I have only seen the one I own. I am pretty sure I bought it on eBay many years ago.

It is common for oversuits to have abstract sizes because they are not intended to fight tightly. For example, Hungarian coveralls come in sizes I, II, III, and IV with I being the smallest. The supply clerk knows that anybody who is under Size 46 (for example) should get Size I, anybody between 46 and 50 should get Size II, etc. Or something similar to that. Mostly I see things with 3 or 4 sizes. I suspect our winter smocks came in three sizes (I, II, and III).

The label on mine is similar to what you find inside many Sumpftarn jackets from the late 1960s. My smock was made by TWH on 10/68 (not 67 as I previously wrote). It is made form a soft cotton cloth.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X