early Bundeswehr jacke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early Bundeswehr jacke

Wow! I was watching this one to price what I have. Looks like I need to clear some things out at that kind of return

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Mil...vip=true&rt=nc
    Attached Files

Very nice garment Genosse, but it is in the wrong sector. There is nothing purely defensive in this reactionary combat jacket.

Comment

It is early Bundeswehr Fallschirmjäger model jacket of the broad splinter pattern, from mid-late 1950s. Rare and sell for high prices, but even over EUR 2000 surprise me!

Regards
      Klaus

Comment

Whoa. That is the highest BW item price I've ever seen! It's in better condition than mine, but then again I didn't pay EUR 2000 for my jacket. Not to mention the trousers

This was Germany's final attempt to retain a camouflage uniform. The original uniform, produced from about February 1956 and to February 1957 proved to be too controversial. Some sources say it was dropped because of cost and comfort, but others say it was because it looked too Wehrmacht. I personally think it was a combination because if it was just cost and comfort then it doesn't explain why two uniforms in two different new Splittertarn patterns were produced *after* the standard Splittertarn uniform ceased production. If it was just cost and comfort then why would they produce experimental uniforms in the same cloth and nearly the same design?

This uniform, the FJ version, was produced in one batch by Marquardt & Schultz in December 1957. It is basically the standard BW Splittertarn with larger rainstrokes, slightly different white offsets, and moderately different colors (based on the Green Splittertarn). There were only a few of these uniforms made. I've heard it could have been in the low hundreds or up to 1000. I've seen four jackets and three trousers in many years. It is certainly a rare piece.

The second uniform, the "Infantry" version, was produced in at least November 1957 by RKK. I can't tell you much more about this because I have only know of one example (jacket + hood). Luckily I have it In this one the colors are the same, but the redbrown shapes use green and the green shapes use redbrown. This gives the pattern a very different look.

One interesting feature on several of the jackets I've seen for sale is the large Wachmantel button that is sewn next to the right chest pocket. Whatever the intended purpose of this button was, most of the jackets I've seen have it (3 out of 4 in my pictures).

Steve
        Last edited by Collectinsteve; 08-14-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post

One interesting feature on several of the jackets I've seen for sale is the large Wachmantel button that is sewn next to the right chest pocket. Whatever the intended purpose of this button was, most of the jackets I've seen have it (3 out of 4 in my pictures).

Steve

For hanging the torch/flashlight perhaps? That's the only thing that comes to my mind. The one on the fourth jacket was probably torn off.

Gene T

Comment

Not realy a bargain

Comment

Originally posted by Gene T View Post
              For hanging the torch/flashlight perhaps? That's the only thing that comes to my mind. The one on the fourth jacket was probably torn off.
              The button is far too big. You need a button the size of 17-19mm for the flashlight, this is 25mm if I remember correctly. Also, the buttons appear to be added by the soldiers.

Originally posted by FwSchultz View Post
              Not realy a bargain
              "value is in the eye of the buyer" I know who bought this and I am sure he's very happy with it. Though I suspect he is also wondering if he is a little insane

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X