Heym Leuchtpistole Type 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heym Leuchtpistole Type 3

Not really a firearm collector (as it will be problems, when I move out of USA), but was offered chance to buy this early flare pistol. The Heym Leuchtpistole 26,5mm was introduced 1951. There are 3 modells to adress problems of structural weakness in design: Type 1 (without reinforcement), Type 2 (reinforcement around rear of chamber) and Type 3 (shape slightly different, reinforcement in front and around rear chamber). The one in my collection is the Type 3.

Offered to me as BGS, but I think only holster is from BGS. Pistol is marked for Zoll (can be determined by "BdF" and "Z" stamps), where used same model. Most surviving examples are Zoll for some reason. The last 3 stamps: Bundesadler with "S" for special weapons and devices, passed inspection in Münchener Beschußamt 1963. Not sure, if it was made this year?

Next is the holster. Seem to use the same metal parts as BGS mapcases. Appear possible to wear on belt without strap, but pistol is very heavy. Strangely, it is more common to see flare pouches in period photos as flare pistol holsters for some reason!

No maker stamp (some are stamped BUND inside, but not mine). Marked "B.S.A 673" and "441/1" on inside - not sure of meanings? Hold 5 flares inside. Together with a flare pouch, this seem like a lot...

Received many various empty flare shells with this also. Will post them later, maybe someone can help with ID of ages of these?

Regards
    Klaus

Comment

Very nice piece. I have not seen the complete set before. Thank you for posting.

Do you have the Type 1 and 2 to post?

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Bob,
        not have Type 1 or 2, they are rare - only seen in Germany for sale. If you want to see photos of those, I can try to post. But would be much harder for me to obtain also, as 26,5mm flare pistols are considered firearms in Germany and very regulated.

As mentioned, I received many empty flare shells with flare pistol and try to identify the periods for these. There seem to be 3 types of different letters on the flares (3 different times?). The longer flares are not hand flares, but also for gun. Box look very old, say "Use until Feb. 1976", but obviously made much earlier.

from l to r:
        - Fliegeralarm, Rauch und Schall (CCC *, red)
        - ABC-Alarm, Licht und Schall
        - Signal, Rauch (CCC, violet)
        - Signal, Licht (*4, white)
        - Signal, Licht (*, green)
        - Signalpatrone (Einzelstern rot)
        - Signal, Licht (CCC, yellow)
        - Lichtsignalpatrone (Einzelstern weiß) - this is from box

Regards
        Klaus

Comment

Very intersting flair pistol, thx. for showing.

It´s a look-alike of this Wehrmacht flare pistol, made by ayf42 (manufactured in 1942 by the Waffenfabrik Erma, B. Geipel, Erfurt)
          Waffenabnahmeamt: 280
          Attached Files

Comment

This DDR flare pistol would appear to be a copy of the type used in the Wehrmacht. As do the flares. Wehrmacht flares had different notches on the bottom so that you could tell what kind of flare you were handling in the dark. It would be interesting to see the bases of these flares to see if they had a similar design.
            There is a later issue flare gun which is much simpler in design.
            The BUND markings would seem to indicate use by the Bundeswehr or some other BRD organization.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Thanks for posting the WH model for comparison! It has resemblence in form to the Type 1, except changed ring (for lanyard?) and not blued.

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
              This DDR flare pistol would appear to be a copy of the type used in the Wehrmacht. As do the flares. Wehrmacht flares had different notches on the bottom so that you could tell what kind of flare you were handling in the dark. It would be interesting to see the bases of these flares to see if they had a similar design.
              There is a later issue flare gun which is much simpler in design.
              The BUND markings would seem to indicate use by the Bundeswehr or some other BRD organization.

Regards,

Gordon
              I assume you mean BRD flare pistol? From what I know, this model only used by BGS and Zoll - Bw had different model. Bw and BGS replaced their earlier models with GECO P2 sometime in 1960s. So BUND marking is entirely correct.

I checked and you have right, as bases vary somewhat. All large flares and the green star flare have no notches. All white star flares (regardless of size) have only notches arouund half of base. Red star flares have notches around entirely.

Regards
              Klaus

Comment

Klaus,

I wasn't sure if the BW ever used this type of flare pistol or not. Thanks for letting me know who did use it tin the BRD.
                I would like to own this set but every US seller tha I have tried to buy an East German fare pistol from won't ship it to me. There are no restrictions of flare guns in Canada. They are not considered firearms under Canadian gun laws. Perhaps someday I can find one in Canada. Complete with empty flare cartridges would be nice. BUND marked would be a plus as well.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Wow!

Great photos of great items. Thanks for expanding my knowledge of this field.

All the best,

TJ

Comment

Finally completed my flare pistol set with the addition of the flare pouch, although rarely seen together on same man in photos. Pouch hold 12 flares. Not sure how old pouch is, as it not dated. In some photos, it appear, that pouch could be worn on belt without strap (but hard to determine) - this is strange, because I have never encountered one with belt loops. Or could be just not visible in photo.

Like most, that I have seen, unfortunately my pouch not have the dark green canvas carrying strap. If anyone know, where I can find spare strap, let me know.

Strange stamp appear to read "BMJ" and "WUG 9" under Bundesadler. I doubt however, that the Bundesministerium der Justiz would have much use for flare pistols! I am not sure if WUG 9 refer to the Kreisstraße in Pappenheim or...?

Regards
                    Klaus

Comment

Klaus, the flare cartridge pouch is available for sale with strap from Royal Tiger Imports as well as Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp. I got one from RTI and asked for a "hand pick" and the one I got was unissued, like new, with cotton webbing strap. I would love to find the leather should strap for the holster. I have the holster and no strap...opposite problem you have
                      I obtained a type 1 Heym with the holster from Bergler on this forum...great person to deal with. He has assisted me with several purchases of post war flare guns and accessories.
                      Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 12-08-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

thanks, but I found one with strap now (from Numrich). First sent me one without, then I when I ask where was strap, send me another one with. So now I have one with strap and 2 with no strap! Still search for flare pouch with belt loops, that appears in 50s photos sometimes.

Would like to see photos of your Type 2, especially markings. I have only seen Type 3 for sale outside Germany.

Regards
                        Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                          thanks, but I found one with strap now (from Numrich). First sent me one without, then I when I ask where was strap, send me another one with. So now I have one with strap and 2 with no strap! Still search for flare pouch with belt loops, that appears in 50s photos sometimes.

Would like to see photos of your Type 2, especially markings. I have only seen Type 3 for sale outside Germany.

Regards
                          Klaus
                          Sorry, my mistake, mine is a type 1. I will post a couple photos shortly.

Comment

Photos of Heym type 1

Can images only be posted by hosting on an image website?

Comment

You can post images as association member or with photo hosting site, if you are not member.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X