Mapcases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapcases

I searched and could not find thread for mapcases, so decide to start one. Recently complete my mapcase collection - every type of mapcase, that BGS used in 1950s to my knowledge.

Not much infos to introduction dates and such, but the style remain amazing unchanged from begin of BGS to 1970s/80s or so.

1950s BGS Meldetasche

The Meldetasche was more a document/map case for BGS motorcyclists, but you see Wachtmeister with them in field, who are not Kradfahrer, so it look like some acquired or issued to others as well.

This example is undated, but has the early style pebbled clips and and square buckle, so early-mid 50s. Has internal divider and pencil holders only. Close with spring clasp.

Marked "H.W. Pröger 8/4". The unit marking is not usual - is this 8. Hundertschaft of GSG 4? Is not Abteilung, as only 3 for every GSG in early years and they write with Roman numbers.

Comment

1954 BGS Mapcase

Next is the first version standard mapcase in black for Wachtmeister ranks, dated 1954. The differences from later mapcases is, that there is additional line of stitching on left flap along side of case not present on later ones (late 1950s on), and the shoulderstrap is different. Early has square buckle and all metal parts are pebbled finish on outer side. Later version smooth and buckle is oval shape.

Inside view of sleeve. One owner drew routes and markings on the plastic instead of map!

This example is stamped on back "Karl Böcker, Waldbröl 1954". As can be seen, the d-rings were lost (easy to slide off, when straps adjusted), so straps attached to the roller buckles.

Named to "Ruther" and someone with bad handwriting! Appear to read "Auth, AW" (candidate/Anwärter for one of the Wachtmeister ranks or just initials?).

Last edited by Klaus1989; 03-22-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

1958 BGS Mapcase

Here the second version for Wachtmeister with oval buckle and smooth metal parts, dated 1958. Otherwise like previous, but this one has still the d-rings.

Stamped "Wunderlich, Berlin 1958" and named to "Riechert".

Comment

1958 BGS Officer Mapcase

Finally, 1958 dated BGS mapcase in brown for Meister and officer ranks, who wore brown leather equipment. So far, it is only piece of this, that I find. The brown Astra holsters and belts are very rare, like all officer articles. The early parts are almost non-existent, so I had luck to find this. The pull strap for the compass pocket misses, as also the shoulderstrap. Assume, that officer Kartentaschen had same variations as Wachtmeister ones.

Marked "F & B 1958" on back and inside flap (can anyone ID this maker?).

Named to "RG" of GSA I./7 (so, Grenzschutzabteilung I of GSG 7). Previous owners names crossed through and erased.

That all for now. Look forward to see examples from other organisations of BRD. Now to find everything, that belong in the mapcases!

Regards
          Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X