Fur Bestleistung Im Stabsdienst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fur Bestleistung Im Stabsdienst

Just pulled this cased medallion from the back of the drawer, and was wondering if I could get more info about it. I believe it was award to a US Army field-grade officer for his time on the staff of this unit (I could be wrong about that).

Curious to know if this is this a "special" award, or one any member of the armed forces could have purchased at the local uniform shop? What unit does the crest on the front represent? Can the timeframe of the piece be determined based on the signature on the back?

Any info on this piece is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Scott,

The crest is for the IInd Korps. I don't know if these were available for local purchase or if they were designed by the Korps as presentation pieces. Perhaps someone else on the forum can give you a more complete answer. There were a lot of presentation pieces given out by different BW formations but this is the first one like this I have seen. More often a wall type plaque was used.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Thanks Gordon. Hopefully more info will come forward. I should have mentioned this medallion is about 3 inches in diameter.

Comment

Scott,

You are welcome. Here are a couple of examples of presentation pieces from my collection. One a wall plaque and the other an engraved silver plate.

Regards,

Gordon
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Those are great Gordon - thanks for posting them

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C. View Post
              Curious to know if this is this a "special" award, or one any member of the armed forces could have purchased at the local uniform shop? What unit does the crest on the front represent? Can the timeframe of the piece be determined based on the signature on the back?

Any info on this piece is appreciated.
              Yes, for shure a special award, presented by the Chief Of Staff/Deputy Commander of the II. Korps, usually for extraordinary accomplishments. The second Corps (from 1993 to 2005 II. GE/US Korps) had several U.S. units attached. This coin could be very well awarded to U.S. liasion personnel as well.
              Now we have to find out which Brigadegeneral W.i....? served as COS at what time in Ulm.
              In every case nothing one could buy at the cafeteria;-)
              Last edited by Proud Kraut; 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Thank you Proud Kraut!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X