RK Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Question

Good evening, after making a fool out of myself in the DDR forum ( post war stuff is NOT something I am really interested or know a lot about and I got East and West Germany confused ) I now believe I have the right forum. Why is it that in many post war pictures of RK winners in uniform they only seem to be wearing the chest medal and not the RK neck medal? Was it a regulation? I would think they would still have been proud of the RK and want to wear it, just curious. ( And please, I have by no means done an exhaustive photographic search if my observations are wrong please fell free to just say so) Ok going back to my Wehrmacht comfort zone!!!!

The full size RK was worn for special occasions or photo shoots. Reg's called for the ribbon bar version. For complete info go to the 57 medals section above. Tom

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

Comment

Jmondo,

Medals of the 1957 issue were rarely worn on the uniform in the BW. As said above, usually only on the ribbon bar. In fact, medals issued by the BRD are rarely worn on BW uniforms. Again just a ribbon bar. There are a few "posed" pictures of members of the BW wearing there WWII (57) awards but they are not common. I have a few tunics in my collection with thread loops for the wearing of awards but they are the exception. There is a veterans association in Germany that is for those who won the Knights Cross and in their meetings, in civilian clothes, they often wear the Knights Cross. I also have some pictures where awards and decoration were worn by veterans on Shooting Association uniforms.
        Thanks for your questions and for visiting the forum.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Jmondo,

The others are quite correct about the wear of the 57er postwar awards. Visit the 57er Forum and you will find much information on the wear of these awards postwar. Here is a large thread with photographs of the KC, and other awards, in wear.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=647386

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X