Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documenting BW Splittertarn Variants

A subject near and dear to my heart

Although BW Splittertarn was produced for roughly 2 years only, there were many variations. Unfortunately not much is known about them because there are few pictures of anything other than the standard infantry type in use. Even the most recent books on BW uniforms do not appear to have much new information either. Which means that most of what I'm going to present here is pieced together by me and definitely not authoritative information.

First, let us be clear about the variations in the patterns themselves, because there is not just one but 6. I have categorized them using some common collector language and some language of my own to keep things easy to compare side to side:

1. Standard Splittertarn, Wehrmacht Variant (Standard WH)
    2. Standard Splittertarn, Blue Variant (Standard Blue)
    3. Standard Splittertarn, Green Varient (Standard Green)
    4. Broad Splittertarn, Brown Dominant (Broad Brown)
    5. Broad Splittertarn, Green Dominant (Broad Green)
    6. Palm Splintertarn (Palm)

The splinter shapes for all 6 patterns are the same. The differences are in color variations, which colors are used for which shapes, and the size/style of the "rain strokes". These differences are:

Standard WH = colors similar to typical Third Reich colors
    Standard Blue = overall blue tint to the background color
    Standard Green = overall green tint and slightly larger rain strokes
    Broad Brown = large shapes brown, as above, but with large rain strokes
    Broad Green = large shapes are green, large rain strokes
    Palm = no rain strokes, small shapes brown, large shapes olive, background green

These patterns were all printed on a thin cotton canvas material. However, Standard Blue was also printed on a medium weight soft cotton material. I think Palm might be on soft cotton as well, but I am not positive about that.
    For Standard Splinter the rain strokes are solid, for Broad Splinter the rain strokes are printed with two rollers. One roller printed the strokes in solid black, the other at about 50% black. The Palm leaves are printed the same way. This technique was used on Amöebatarn and the older Liebermuster.

As for the different uniform designs there are at least 6, perhaps more. They are:

1. Infantry (Standard WH, Standard Blue, Standard Green, Broad Green)
    2. Fallschirmjäger 1st Model with small metal zippers (Standard Blue)
    3. Fallschirmjäger 1st Model with large plastic zippers (Standard Green)
    4. Fallschirmjäger 2nd Model with large plastic zippers (Broad Brown)
    5. Luftflande (Standard Blue)
    6. Gebirgsjäger (Standard Blue)

I know of nothing made in Palm, other than an experimental snow camouflage (which I'm not going to cover here) which used the palm leafs only.

There is a minor variation of the Infantry trousers. There are two sets of straps around the center of each thigh. One at the top of the pocket, one at the bottom of the poacket. They are adjusted externally to the rear of the leg pockets.

Each uniform has a snap on hood in the same pattern. Gloves were made in Standard Blue and Standard Green. I have not seen any made in the other patterns.

I am not sure if Gebirgsjäger had it's own jacket or used Infantry or Luftlande. I suspect they used standard Infantry or Luftlande, not a type unique to GJ. That is pure speculation on my part, unfortunately.

As for dating these items, I can only make an educated rough guess:

Standard WH - 1955
    Standard Blue and Green - 1956 and 1957
    Broad Brown and Green - 1957
    Palm - 1957 or later

The FJ 1st Model, GJ, and LL uniforms were made in 1956. The soft cotton Standard Blue was made January 1956, not sure if later. Standard Blue and Green dates I've seen are February 1956 through February 1957. As far as I know I haven't seen anything outside of these dates in those patterns. Broad Green was made November 1957, Broad Green in December 1957. No idea when Plam was made, but the snow camo was made in 1960.

That's pretty much all I can think of. I will post pictures of my items in the posts that follow.

Steve

I look forward to seeing your research results. I assume there will be images/photographs to accompany your commentary?

From my personal perspective, I'm not sure that the GJ had there own specific 'uniform'. All photos which I have seen indicate jackets of 'standard' Heer style worn with appropriate trousers (the unmistakeable GJ 'Knickerbocker' or conventional splintertarn hose).

In any event, I look forward to the results of your study.

N

Comment

I have pictures of nearly everything on the list above. Here's what I don't have in hand:

1. Standard WH. I have pictures of this, side by side with Standard Blue and Standard Green. Unfortunately I do not have the right to post these pictures and I'm no longer on speaking terms with the collector who has it. But I am convinced it exists. And given the January 1956 date on my Standard Blue on soft cloth set, I think it's fairly good bet the Standard WH type is from 1955 and was rejected because it was not different enough from wartime look.

2. Luftlande (possibly also Gebirgsjäger) jacket. For sure this jacket exists and I'll post a photo shown in another thread. It shares similarities with my Luftlande trousers.

3. Broad Green trousers. The only Broad Green piece I've ever seen, at all, is the jacket and hood in my collection. But I think it is highly doubtful that they didn't make trousers to match.

4. Anything in Palm. I have pictures of a bolt of fabric, that's it. It's documented in Schuster's book, but again only a swatch of the fabric and not a specific article.

Steve

Comment

I guess a good place to start is the Gebirgsjäger and Luftlande stuff. These are definitely purpose made and not a modification of standard trousers. They are both in Standard Blue pattern.

Compared to the Infantry type, LL and GJ trousers have two rear pockets instead of one, the pockets have single snap closures instead of buttons, and have buckles for the lower leg. The main differences is the LL trousers have a small pocket between the right hand pocket and the fly, as was common on German trousers of the day. GJ trousers do not have this extra pocket. Further, the GJ trousers are cut to just below the knees and have a different buckle system than LL trousers.

Another interesting point to note is the belt that is on the GJ trousers mimics the field belt. The LL trousers might have had the same belt or not. I don't know as mine came without the belt so I just put on a Standard Blue Infantry type.

Unfortunately the label from my LL trousers was removed, however I'm guessing they were made by the same company and the same date as the GJ type. The label for the GJ type is shown below.

Standard Blue GJ Trousers

Last edited by Collectinsteve; 09-29-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately my LL trousers were not treated as kindly as my GJ trousers. But I'm still quite happy to have it!

Comment

A picture (and the back of it) as posted by TJ in this thread (posts #70 and 71):

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=631360

The trousers are almost for sure the Luftlande type. So if the caption is correct, and these are Gebirgsjäger troops, then either a GJ member got a hold of LL trousers or the trousers were trialed by both GJ and LL, or they have nothing to do with LL as suspected.

The jacket is quite different than the standard type. You can see that it has vertical hand pockets with single snap closed flaps, just like the rear pockets on the LL and GJ trousers. The wrists have buckled strap closures, just like the LL and GJ trousers. Beyond that it's hard to say what other differences there might be. It appears there are chest pockets, but it's difficult to say for sure. It would be odd for a military field jacket to not have chest pockets, so I think it's more an issue of how they were constructed.

Thanks TJ for making the post!

Steve

Comment

Compare the specialized (no doubt trials) examples above with a Standard Blue Infantry uniform:

Comment

And a Standard Green Infantry set:

Comment

A Standard Blue Infantry set in soft cotton:

Comment

Standard Blue FJ 1st Model uniform:

Comment

Standard Green FJ 1st Model Jacket. Unfortunately I lack the trousers:

Comment

As you can see from the labels of these pieces it appears that they were all made at the same time. The pieces are dated either October of November of 1956, which seems to indicate that they were all part of a broad trials to replace the Infantry uniform for at least specialized troops. It's possible that the Luftlande uniform was intended to replace the Infantry type as well. It is quite usual for the "elite" units to trial the new stuff and then have it adopted by everybody else. We know there were cost concerns as well as complaints from soldiers. So this seems likely.

Steve

Comment

Steve,I recently caught the WH-zelt fever and I'm loving the variations you can find in the splitter pattern.
                          So I recognised the headshape in the print on some of the items you've posted.
                          It seems they are al in the "overbite" type.
                          Here's a picture of two wartime shelterhalfs I have wich show the head I mean.
                          The pattern with the overbite on the left alternates at ca 49cm,while on the right (the head its lips are positioned exactly above each other),the pattern alternates at 60 cm.
                          The head is just one of the many recognisable shapes you can find.
                          Maybe the BW splitter exists in the reduced splitter pattern as well,without the brown stand-alone patches.
                          It would be interesting to find out what more wartime print rollers were used on BW items.
                          All the best,
                          Kees
                          Attached Files

Comment

The vertical stripes remind me a bit of a DDR camo pattern, is this a coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by chiffonnier View Post
                              The head is just one of the many recognisable shapes you can find.
                              Maybe the BW splitter exists in the reduced splitter pattern as well,without the brown stand-alone patches.
                              It would be interesting to find out what more wartime print rollers were used on BW items.
                              I've been meaning to compare BW and BGS Splittertarn against WH Splittertarn for a long time. One day I will

Originally posted by Jeroen P View Post
                              The vertical stripes remind me a bit of a DDR camo pattern, is this a coincidence?
                              No coincidence. The "rain strokes" were a distinctive part of Wehrmacht Splittertarn and after the war each side of Germany wanted to keep some ties to their historical camouflage past. Rain strokes were DDR's choice. Rainstrokes were also used by Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Bulgarian camouflage. Bulgaria actually wound up using their own version of Splittertarn until the 1990s. They used it some during WW2 so it was something they were familiar with already.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X