Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Service Organization (G.S.O.) British Sector

Gents,

Last week I published some photos of unknown an Labor Service Unit.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=455593

With the pictures in hand, I could make out a faint arc on the shoulder of the uniform sleeves. The arc was emblazoned "G.S.O." As it turns out, G.S.O. stands for "German Service Organization." As suspected, it was a post-war service unit set up by the British Army in their zone of occupation. There is scant information available, but I did find this tidbit on Wikipedia:

The German Service Organization (GSO) was created after the Second World War. The organization was staffed by German civilian employees of the Britsh occupation forces in Germany. The GSO staff was paid by the German government. Although civilian employees, members of the GSO wore a dark green uniform with the letters GSO on the left sleeve near the shoulder. They were mainly employed as truck drivers.

The following reference book was also provided which may be of interest to some collectors:

Heinz-Ludger Borgert, Walter Assailants, Norbert Wiggershaus: Service Groups and West German Defense Contribution - Preliminary Considerations to Arm the Federal Republic of Germany Boppard on the Rhine in 1982. ISBN 3-7646-1807-8

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...e_Organisation

I know every now and then we come across a dark green M40 peaked cap that doesn't quite fit the BGS, Zoll or Polizei model. Perhaps now, we'll have another organization to consider.

I'll re-post the pictures here with new details I picked out under magnification.

All the best,
    TJ

First up is the group photo which didn't not come out clearly when originally posted in the LSU thread.

Notice how most of the men have tweaked the peaks of their caps in a manner similar to the early Bundeswehr and BGS.

The gentleman standing on the far left in the first row would appear to be wearing a sweater vest under his tunic. The gent next to him has a pocket full pens.

One can just make out another insignia on the middle of the sleeve of the man on the far right in the first row. This would appear to be three numbers. Perhaps his unit number?
    Attached Files

Comment

I somehow managed to get out of sequence in posting the back of the pictures. The back of picture one is found in post #4.

Here is the back of the second picture in the series. I can't make out what it says.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guardian 5; 06-23-2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Here is the back of picture one, the group photo. If the online translator is to be believed, it would say something like:

"Ulmen Street blocked off for maneuvers."
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Guardian 5; 06-23-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

This is the second picture. This the one where you can just make out the G.S.O. arc on the man closest to the camera.

The other figures can be seen to sport both the G.S.O. arc as well the small numerical patch on mid-sleeve. From this small sample size, we would conclude that the arc is found on both sleeves with the number patch only worn on the left sleeve if worn at all.

In my examination so far, I haven't seen any rank tabs on the collars or epaulettes.

As discussed in the previous thread, the webbing is of the Model 1937 type. No one commenting on the original thread could ever recall seeing a water bottle worn in the manner.

The truck in the rear of the picture is a Scammel Pioneer. I haven't been able to identify the truck in the foreground. It appears to be some type of post-war Bedford.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is the final shot. On German eBay, the photos were marketed as "early NVA."

Based on the information written on the back of this photo, I have concluded that the pictures were taken in Delmenhorst, a suburb of Bremen.

Delmenhorst has both a Ulmenstr and a Stedingerstr. Bremen would have been in the British Sector during the early postwar years.

Well gents, know you know everything I know about the G.S.O.

I look forward to your discussion points and the inevitable corrections on my early research.

All the best,
            TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

Last but not least is the rear of photo three.

Any translation assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
              TJ
              Attached Files

Comment

I think you will find that the small badge that can be seen on the left sleeve is a horizontal bar denoting rank. Also the badge on the left side of the truck looks to be the blue cross on a yellow shield of HQ British Troops in the Low Countries. Maybe you can see what is on the other side.

Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

It appears to be "GSO" enclosed in an oval with a bar of some sort over the lettering.

Thanks,
                  TJ

Comment

Hi TJ,

Interesting!

Text:
                    Post 3 "Vor der Abfahrt ins Manöver" > before departure into exercise
                    Post 4 "Ulmenstr. Ausrücken ins Manöver" > ... move out into exercise
                    Post 7 "Anfänger müssen überprüft werden" > beginners must be checked

Uwe

Comment

TJ,

There was a chap who had a militaria shop in my city a few years ago and he had numerous artifacts from the GSO. Unfortunately, John passed away a few years ago. I knew of this organization but could not remember the name.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Uwe and Gordon,

Thanks for the feedback.

All the best,
                        TJ

Comment

Gents,

I snapped up another photo from this lot the other day. If anything, it gives us a better look at the vehicles.

I'll post a better view and any written information when it arrives.

Thanks,
                          TJ
                          Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

I've canvassed some Canadian military collectors and this way of wearing a water bottle was not used in Canada or by the Brits as far as any of them are concerned. Perhaps something done only by the GSO drivers.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

As they are only wearing a waist belt and small pack with 'L' straps, I don't see any other way of carrying the water bottle and carrier. Buckle on the carrier clipped over the hook on the 'L' straps.

Marc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X