Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intternational volksportsverband - ivv

Gentlemen,

I recently received a bag of badges associated with the IVV. It prompted me to research the organization. Here is what I found plus pictures of the badges.

They Love to Go A-Wandering - Walking with the IVV

"On January 14, 1968 a few walkers from Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Germany met in Lindau, Germany and decided to found an international federation with the aim of organizing a NEW kind of sports - sports without classification and obligatory times. Today these are known worldwide as "Volkssports". On December 15, 1968 they met again and laid the foundation stone for a remarkable movement: International Federation of Popular Sports (IVV)." IVV World News. Today the IVV celebrates 30 years (1999) of hosting non-competitive walking events where every walker is a winner.

The IVV sanctions non-competitive events in walking, biking, swimming, skiing, skating, and snowshoeing. Walking is the most popular of the Popular Sports - known by the German term Volkssports, thus the walking events in the USA are often called volksmarches or volkswalks. Volks translates as "people" or "popular."

Where in the World do They Walk?

The IVV today has national associations of walking clubs worldwide and are expanding each year into the countries formerly behind the Iron Curtain and in the Pacific Rim. It is the largest walking organization in the world, and its member national associations are usually the largest or only nationwide walking associations in their countries. The growing list includes: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, South Tyrol, Sweden, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, and the United States. The IVV web site includes address, phone, and email for all of the member nations.

Walking Events

What is a volkssport walking event like? Our Going on a Volksmarch slide show takes you through a walking event from start to finish. Links take you off to explain various aspects and to lead you into the AVA's web site to clubs and events.

The standard minimum distance worldwide is 10 kilometers (6.2 miles), and a 20 kilometer trails must also be offered. Shorter routes of 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) are also common in North America. Functionally disadvantaged walkers/wheelchairs are encouraged to complete whatever distance they can do comfortably.

The walks are non-competitive. Walkers register and begin the walk throughout a long start window. The only time factor is to end by a time three hours after the start closes. Along the way, the route is marked and there are checkpoints with water and candy to provide a pause. At the finish, every walker is a winner and can receive the event award - a medal, patch, mug, etc.

Keeping Track

The IVV provides an Individual Achievement Award Program which unites IVV walkers around the world. Walkers may purchase the IVV Record Books for both distance (kilometers walked) and events (number of events walked, biked, swam, etc.) and have them stamped at any IVV-sanctioned event worldwide. These record books are then redeemed after a certain number of events (10, 30, 50, 75, 100, etc.) or kilometers (500, 1000, 1500, etc.) for a certificate, patch and hatpin. Record keeping is recommended by all sports programs to encourage building a healthy habit. Many volkssport walkers wear them proudly on their jackets or hats while they walk.

To find a volkssport walking event, visit the web sites and then call the club contact listed for more information. In the past year many local volkssport clubs created their own club web sites. As not-for-profit organizations, the clubs have minimal advertising budgets and concentrate on building grassroots followings and partnering with schools, hospitals and other local sponsors. The events are offered free of charge or for a small fee.

Clubs

The walking events are open to everyone. Those who wish to join the hosting club are very welcome. Clubs vary considerably in size, personality, and range of activities. All clubs may host sanctioned volkssport walking events. Some additionally get together to walk for fitness, organize van trips or carpools to other clubs' events, and socialize. If there is more than one club in an area, a walker looking for a club to join should explore all of the clubs to see which one suits them best. To form a club, the interested groups should contact the national organization. Affiliation is easy and in the USA brings event liability insurance and the chance to get 501(c)(3) not-for-profit status with the IRS.

Read All About It

Volkssport publications keep you in contact with the sport in your area or the places you plan to visit. See the IVV site for national publications and the Volkssport Publications site for those in North America.

Walking All Over The World

Walkers reward themselves for walking in different states, provinces, and countries. The IVV hosts an Olympiad every two years to bring together walkers from all over the world. Several tour companies structure their tours around volkssport events. Many IML Walking Association walking events are also sanctioned by the IVV, allowing walkers to be doubly rewarded. With volkssport events, you can enjoy seeing your local area at walking speed and you can incorporate their walking events into your travels throughout your state/province, country or around the world."

While the above covers the organization world wide I have included the whole article because everything in it applies to the IVV clubs in Germany. All of these pins came from a fellow forum member in Germany. I hope you find this foray into the total civilian area although many military individuals and groups compete in these Volksmarches. The best known one is held in Neimegan, Holland each year. You can see ribbons for participating in this event on BW members ribbon bars.
    Although these events are supposed to be non competitive, some of the pins pictured come in Bronze, Silver and Gold grades. I have been unable to find a reason for the different grades.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

The next set of pictures shows pins for walking specific distances. Possibly, the walkers would have to turn in their record books to obtain one of these pins. The second pin from your left is out of place. When I placed the pins for the photo I thought it was for 300 KM but when I saw the photo it was obviously for 3000 KM.
    Attached Files

Comment

These next photos show a ribbon bar with all three grades of pin on it but on ribbons from different countries. Typical German construction on the ribbon bar but I can not say exactly what country it originated in.

Regards,

Gordon
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gordon,

it is a very wide field of decorations.

You must first differentiate between the participations (Teilnahme) and the added up distances (Kilometer).

The pieces in Post 1 and 3 are for 10 (Bronze), 30 (Silber), 50 (Gold) and 75 (Gold mit Silber-Lorbeer) participations.

The decorations came as metal badges, small and large, and as cloth patches.

See for example:

http://www.wanderfreunde-mg.de/verei...rung_frame.htm

In my collection (not my own earned decorations!) is the highest cloth patch for 6.500km, the highest metal badge for 21,000km, and the highest small participant badge is with number 325, the highest large badge is with number 275.

Uwe

Comment

Uwe,

Thanks for that great link. Super information and very helpful in identifying the pins I have.
          I have one question. Who would have worn the bronze, silver and gold pins on a ribbon bar like the one I posted?
          I was just offered two cloth IVV badges and they will be added to my collection soon.

Regards,

Gordon
          Attached Files

Comment

Gordon,

no militair, no police and other official organization.

But everybody could wear those decorations on civilian clothes, especially during a march.

Uwe

Comment

With so many pins on it, it's almost a bulletproof felt cap.
              Very heavy to wear especially when you're going for 13000 km,see last pic.
              A fanatic walker and above all; a pin collector.

Kees
              Attached Files

Comment

Kees,

Thanks for the interesting pictures of the hat. Interesting to see the pins etc. from this thread as worn by an active participant in the events.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

IVV patches

Found this jacket today.
                  It has a "few" IVV walking patches on it.
                  All the best,

Kees
                  Attached Files

Comment

Kees,

A few you say!!! Thanks for the post. Interesting jacket.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X