Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGS in UNTAC

Gentlemen,

A little while ago I received a document which appears to have been presented to the entire BGS contingent serving with the United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC). If anyone can add some more information to the awarding of this document I would be very appreciative.

Some background on UNTAC.

"UNTAC was established by Security Council resolution 745 (1992) of 28 February 1992, to ensure the implementation of the Agreements on a Comprehensive Political Settlement of the Cambodia Conflict, signed in Paris on 23 October 1991.

Under the Agreements, the Supreme National Council of Cambodia (SNC) was "the unique legitimate body and source of authority in which, throughout the transitional period, the sovereignty, independence and unity of Cambodia are enshrined". SNC, which was made up of the four Cambodian factions, delegated to the United Nations "all powers necessary" to ensure the implementation of the Agreements.

The mandate given to UNTAC included aspects relating to human rights, the organization and conduct of free and fair general elections, military arrangements, civil administration, the maintenance of law and order, the repatriation and resettlement of the Cambodian refugees and displaced persons and the rehabilitation of essential Cambodian infrastructure during the transitional period."

Now, some information on the BGS contingent with UNTAC

"United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC)

German Participation: May 1992 - August 1993

Personal Strength: 105 law enforcement officers of the Federal Border Guard

Mission Description:
    UNTAC shall, during the transitional period until the formation of a new government in Cambodia, provide extensive supervisory and control powers in all areas of civil and military administration.
    Monitoring and control of local Cambodian police;
    Conducting regular patrols / outposts inland;
    Ensuring that the maintenance of law and order by the local police is impartially and with respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms;
    Ensure that democratic elections can be held."

Now the document and a page of hand written text that came with it. I was going to try and translate the document but I could not understand parts of the hand written text. Perhaps one of our German speaking members would be able to give us a rough summary of the text.
    Attached Files

One more question. Did they wear regular BGS uniforms or something more fitting to area?

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

It is possible, that they wore the green Einsatzanzug. Have seen this in photos from Afghanistan, where they trained the National Police there, even though they not seem to be best for desert there. Unfortunately no photos to find from Cambodia at moment.

Remember this old post from German collector, that you posted for him? Supposedly the mission in Cambodia last time, that old Stahlhelm worn. Could be of interest here:
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&postcount=235

Regards
      Klaus

Comment

Forgot to add translations of the documents. The first is recognition of exceptionable service, but you probably could understand that. Hope that the translation of letter helps.

Translation:
        "In honour for the exceptionable accomplishments in the UN peacekeeping mission UNTAC, I express to the BGS contingent thanks, recognition and respect.

Phnom Penh, 9 June 1993

Hitz
        Inspector of the BGS"

The letter says:
        "11 Dec. 2012

In 1993 the Inspector of the BGS - Fredi Hitz - visited the BGS contingent, that served as part of the peacekeeping mission in Cambodia. This mission operated under the name UNTAC. The German contingent consisted solely of members of the BGS. After Namibia, this was the second German participation in a UN mission. We were part of CIVPOL and I served as Police Commander in District Krakor in province Pursat. In addition to us, there was also the Bundeswehr with the German Field Hospital in the capital of Cambodia - Phnom Penh.

[Sincerely] Hartmut Henkel"

Last word before name appear to be "Gruß", so I have translated accordingly, but not sure if I read it correct.

Regards
        Klaus

Comment

Klaus,

Thanks for the translation. It adds a lot to the documents interest.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X