X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deeply symbolic vintage photo

Kameraden,

I was deeply struck by this photo.

It depicts a c.1966 Bundeswehrsoldaten finishing the last kilometer of his Leistungabzeichen qualification forced march in bare feet.

Aside from showing the arduous nature of the march, it also strikes me as deeply symbolic. A scant 20 years after "Stunde Null", this photo represents for me the slow march of the German Armed Forces from international pariahdom back to soldierly virtue and honor. It also manages to summarize in one image the sacrifice that is part of a soldier's life.

For gear freaks (a label I embrace wholeheartedly) there are great views of the marching boots with democracy buckles, the "thermos" style ABC mask carrier, and the "onion bag" camo net. And who could miss the long underwear peeping out from underneath the filzlaus battledress.

What say you ladies and gentlemen?

All the best,
    TJ
    Attached Files

The original label of the photo.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful picture! I think soldiers should have received their Leistungabzeichen for just wearing the Filzlaus on a hot, sunny summer's day doing anything!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
        For gear freaks (a label I embrace wholeheartedly) there are great views of the marching boots with democracy buckles
        What are democracy buckles?

Comment

If you look at the picture you`ll find a strap at the top of the boot which is closed by a belt buckle. This buckled strap gives the oportunity to adapt the wide of the shaft a little so it fits closer to the leg. Beside the none nailed soles it is the main difference between the BW and the Wehrmacht high boots. It is called the "Democracy buckle" as many people are of the opinion that it was only invented to give a clear visible difference between the boots of the army of an democratic federal German Republic and the old "nazi-boots" of the Wehrmacht...

By the way... nice picture ! Its always see that there are more press fotos out there. Would really love to dig up more of that stuff for a second issue of my "Andernach book" ...

Jens

Comment

Hi,

it is definitely not a march for a "Leistungsabzeichen".

The picture is from 1966, the "Leistungsabzeichen" is from 1971.

You can see it in the text. "... von einer alarmmäßigen Übung ... zurück." > back from an alarm exercise

Uwe

Comment

TJ; maybe your somewhat melancholic approach towards a soldiers sacrifice can be diminished a bit by depicting this guy with a few nice cold beers after the march.
              I've experianced that refreshing feeling first hand.
              Great picture though.

Kees

Comment

Kees,

Great idea!

Having spent 20 years in the infantry, I can feel this man's pain!

All the best,
                TJ

Comment

Uwe,

Great observation!

Your sharp eyes have helped me date a picture on the OTL Suhr thread. Perhaps OTL Suhr served past 1969.

All the best,
                  TJ

Originally posted by speedytop View Post
                  Hi,

it is definitely not a march for a "Leistungsabzeichen".

The picture is from 1966, the "Leistungsabzeichen" is from 1971.

You can see it in the text. "... von einer alarmmäßigen Übung ... zurück." > back from an alarm exercise

Uwe
                  Attached Files

Comment

TJ;
                    I only had 1 year military service .(armored infantry,120mm mortars)
                    During a field exercise ,wich could be as long as 14 days,we had some chinese for dinner and we got a beer to go with it.
                    We were allowed to go to the sleeping bag/tent early,because tomorrow would be a busy day.
                    Around midnight the alarm sounded.
                    Orders were to dress without something that could suffer from water.
                    Papers to be put in a watertight bag.
                    Then we took a drive through the night in the back of trucks.
                    Speculating what was going to happen,we were sure it wasn't a hike because the trucks already drove for an hour.
                    When we got out we heard the news.
                    Because of the lieutenants birthday,and his love for an in the middle of the night march,we were priviliged for a 20 KM wet and wild bush trial.
                    Long story short;
                    After some painfull hours I woke up in a military ambulance.
                    They did some blood tests in a hospital and from then on I was done doing
                    physical exercise,and I've been on medication ever since.
                    That was 25 years ago.
                    In the present,I have to go to the hematologist for that problem almost on a monthly bases.
                    They are worried I don't get old.
                    I say;when it's your time,your up.
                    So I as well can feel a bit of this mans pain.
                    all the best;
                    Kees

Comment

Hallo Kees,

When I was at university, I had the opportunity to hear a speech given by General George S. Patton IV, the son of old "blood and guts Patton" and a distinguished soldier in his own right.

One phrase of his that stuck with me over the years was this; "Incompetent military leaders are nothing more than potential murderers." And so it would seem with your military "leader" who took you into the night so many years ago.

I'm just glad that you are here with us today and that your terrible experience with the military has not dampened your enthusiasm for all things Bundeswehr. Thanks for your many wonderful contributions. I look forward to hearing from you again in the new year and beyond.

All the best,
                      TJ

Comment

TJ;thanks for those kind thoughts you're sending out,means a lot to me.
                        To give the story a positive turn;the week after the night march,I got another duty.
                        I became H.I.D.; hoofd inwendige dienst,Wich translates chief internal services.
                        Had to take care of all keys,maintenance of the buiding,keep the manual archive up to date,prepared rooms like the weapons chamber for inspection etc.
                        I vacumed the officers quarters and made them coffee.
                        All doors opened for me and a good part of the day I was looking for surplus unlisted stuff to add to my collection and made badge trades with the quartermaster.
                        Had a great time searching in the enormous basements or nuclear shelters wich kept going for ever layer under layer. (Seedorf Germany)
                        So overall a great time and I would do it again if I could.
                        all the best and for sure you'll hear from me in the new year and beyond.
                        Kees

Comment

Originally posted by Asbjoern View Post
                          It is called the "Democracy buckle" as many people are of the opinion that it was only invented to give a clear visible difference between the boots of the army of an democratic federal German Republic and the old "nazi-boots" of the Wehrmacht...

Jens
                          This may be true as far as many opinions go, however high boots with a top adjusting short tab and buckle were very common during the Third Reich period in the form of many officers boots . Granted these were private purchase, but nevertheless regulation. Often associated with LW officers (and some NCOs) but can also be seen in many period photos worn by Heer and W-SS officers.

These type of boots will have a non backed top, sewn welted soles with a lower flatter heel. I think that they were basically a more comfortable boot that had evolved in the late 1930s and caught on during the war.

My guess is that the BW period boots were also evolutions of boot designs and the adjusting tab/buckle was a carry over of this as were the heel and sole manufacturing techniques.

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X