HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Der Conterganzug" - Translation please?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Der Conterganzug" - Translation please?!

Gents,

This wonderful photo gives us a great look at a Heer combat arms platoon in November, 1963.

It would appear as though the lads have camouflaged their helmets with strips of newspaper to better blend in with the wintry conditions. Blank-firing adapters (BFA) appear on some of the G3s.

What is puzzling for me is the caption written across the top of the photo;
    Der "Conterganzug" unter der Leistung von Lt. Graf von Bothmer.

Translated into English it reads the, "the Thalidomide Platoon under the leadership of Lt. Graf von Bothmer".

Apparently Thalidomide was a sedative developed in the late 1950's that was later found to cause birthdefects if taken by expectant mothers.

So my question for our German members is, would this knickname suggest a slow or lazy platoon or one with a high number of less than starke troopers?

Regarding Graf von Bothmer, there was a highly distinguished general of that name in the Imperial Army. Does anyone know anything about his descendant in the Bundeswehr?

Thanks for the help,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Here is the back of the photo.

I can make out "in commeration of" and "IV platoon". Can anyone translate the rest?

Thanks,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Comment

Since "Conterganzug" is written with quotation marks, I'm afraid it was used by one of the Officers or NCO's as cussword for this platoon and it obviously hints exact into the direction you mentioned. The Contergan-Scandal took place in the early 1960's. If this word was used in that context, it's a good example for inhuman leadership practices we all have heard of. A real shame!

Back of the picture: It's a name "Jürgen A..."

Regards

Lars

Comment

Originally posted by Proud Kraut View Post
        Since "Conterganzug" is written with quotation marks, I'm afraid it was used by one of the Officers or NCO's as cussword for this platoon and it obviously hints exact into the direction you mentioned. The Contergan-Scandal took place in the early 1960's. If this word was used in that context, it's a good example for inhuman leadership practices we all have heard of. A real shame!

Back of the picture: It's a name "Jürgen A..."

Regards

Lars
        I don't find it that offending - they probably had a good laugh about that back in the day.
        Similar kind of hazing is still alive in todays Bundwehr.

MkG
        Philipp

Comment

I find that offending, because it is not something we can laugh about, not in 1963 and not in 2012.

It is a disregard and insult for alle the later born people with physical disabilities, more than 2,000 of them are still alive.

Uwe

Comment

Kameraden,

As I feared, the caption on the photo turned out to be most distasteful.

Be that that as it may, it served as a great point of learning.

I can remember early in my military career when a drill sergeant compared my athletic ability to that of a polio victim. Such a remark would not be permitted today.

Although severley tested in the early years, I would have to say that the concept of Innere Führung ultimately triumphed, to the betterment of the Bundeswehr and the BRD itself.

All the best,
            TJ

Comment

Hi,

during my service in the early 90´s there were still a lot of such nicknames for our units.

Mongo-Kompanie (short for "mongoloid", so Down-syndrom)
              Spastenzug (for "spatsicsh gelähmte"), our officers traning platoon was called this

It is distasteful, but common in every army in the world, I think.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X