Para Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Para Jacket

Hello, i own this jacket, who could tell me more about?

Has nothing to do with Para's. it's the standard early Field Jacket in Splinter Camo.

Comment

As Nico said, this is not the FJ specific version. Standard infantry. The FJ version has many major differences, but the easiest to see is zippered pockets on the arms and chest.

Looks like you got one in excellent condition! You should be very happy about that since most look like they were used by a bull fighter to distract a bull. And the bullfighter lost

Standard production jackets were made in 1956 and 1957 only. They were produced in "green" and "blue" variations of the Splinter pattern. The green variation has thicker "rain" strokes and a more green background. The uniforms were officially removed from service in 1959, however they were worn into the early 1960s. Which is why most are in horrible condition.

The FJ uniform (the trousers are also very different from infantry type) was also made in "green" and "blue" variations. The zippers on the two are different, but otherwise the design is the same.

There exists a number of non-standard production examples. I know of a jacket that has almost Wehrmacht colors, the "blue" variant was made in limited numbers on soft cotton, experimental trousers were made for GJ (Mountain) and LL (Air Landing) soldiers, and there were two experimental "broad splinter" patterns made in 1957 for FJ and the other infantry.

Hoods, belts, and winter mitten "shells" also exist in both "green" and "blue" variations. The belts on the trousers were sewn on, but it is not common to find them still attached. I have also seen belts and hoods in "broad splinter", but never mittens.

Steve
      Last edited by Collectinsteve; 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, i remember once i found a site regarding this jackets but now i'm unable to find it, do you know something about? So this jacket saw a limited period of wearing, mine was never used, i bought it 20 years ago , it's perfect.
        Do you have photos of the "blue" one?

Comment

Jackets and trousers in "unused" condition are very rare. I think you could probably get EUR 200+ fairly easily on eBay with 5-10 very good pictures.

Your picture is very dark and badly colored, but it looks like you have the blue variant.

I do not know what website you are thinking of. However, there is a very good thread here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=398053

The first few pictures are of typical condition items. Blue is the more common variation to see. Rarely there is an item with both variations straight from the factory. Here is an example:

The two chest pockets and the flaps on the lower pockets are in the green variant, as is the zipper flap for the front, but the rest appears to be blue. It's difficult to tell because of fading except for the size of the rain strokes. If you look at the pocket flaps on the lower pockets you can see the rain strokes very easily, yes? Can you see them on the pockets? Barely. That's the best way to tell which is which.

Steve
          Last edited by Collectinsteve; 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X