Splittertarn jacket arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splittertarn jacket arrived

The condition was better than described. The zipper works well, the snaps work well, the sleeves are long enough, little to no fraying and only very minor repairs but overall it's a big disappointment. Why in the hex did they make these things so short?? it's almost like an Ike jacket. I know it's my size because the shoulders are more than ample and, as stated, the sleeves are long enough too. But, unless I tuck my tee shirt in, it will hang out the bottom! I had no idea that they were this short. Any ideas why they did this? BIG letdown.

Hmmm... I've not noticed them being short. Especially not as short as you are saying yours is. I've seen jackets shortened a little bit, but there's only an inch or two between the hem and the bottom of the lower front pockets. So that's not a lot to trim off.

Keep in mind this uniform was designed to be worn over a substantial field uniform with plenty of room left over. This is not supposed to be a "snug" fitting uniform. If you're not swimming inside it when you have a T-shirt on, then you probably have one that is designed for someone smaller than you. Which would explain why it isn't long enough. The sleeves should also be baggy, so perhaps they aren't as long on you as they were intended to be.

If you decide not to keep it, just stick it back up on eBay and it will be gone for sure. Doesn't take much to get one of these sold

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
      Hmmm... I've not noticed them being short. Especially not as short as you are saying yours is. I've seen jackets shortened a little bit, but there's only an inch or two between the hem and the bottom of the lower front pockets. So that's not a lot to trim off.

Keep in mind this uniform was designed to be worn over a substantial field uniform with plenty of room left over. This is not supposed to be a "snug" fitting uniform. If you're not swimming inside it when you have a T-shirt on, then you probably have one that is designed for someone smaller than you. Which would explain why it isn't long enough. The sleeves should also be baggy, so perhaps they aren't as long on you as they were intended to be.

If you decide not to keep it, just stick it back up on eBay and it will be gone for sure. Doesn't take much to get one of these sold

Steve
      Totally agree.

Would add:-

1. It is designed for wear by a young, fit (and, by definition, skinny) man;
      2. It was never intended to be a "fashion statement", ie. what may be wanted in civilian attire should not be expected of military uniforms.

If you don't like it, as Steve says, 'Ebay it'.

N

Comment

I'm plenty fit and not fat so that's not the problem. Size wise, it's like wearing a trash bag....it's pretty roomy in there. I would guess that it's made to fit over a size 52 metric uniform. I just expected it to be longer than it is. I'm just used to parka length I guess. I'll probably just be on the lookout for another jacket in order to obtain more fabric. Then I can take both to a good tailor who can match up the pattern and graft onto the existing jacket for a longer length. Then, blammo!! A jacket to whatever length I want. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by BWilhelm View Post
          I'm plenty fit and not fat so that's not the problem. Size wise, it's like wearing a trash bag....it's pretty roomy in there. I would guess that it's made to fit over a size 52 metric uniform. I just expected it to be longer than it is. I'm just used to parka length I guess. I'll probably just be on the lookout for another jacket in order to obtain more fabric. Then I can take both to a good tailor who can match up the pattern and graft onto the existing jacket for a longer length. Then, blammo!! A jacket to whatever length I want. Thanks for the input guys.
          You know that these are quite rare and VERY collectable jackets, don't you?

What you are proposing to do is going to result in:-

a. The destruction of one of these jackets; and
          b. The alteration of another, which will create a (largely) valueless (from the point of view of a collector) jacket.

Two birds, one stone.

I mention this because you have posted this announcement in a part of the WAF website which is habitually viewed by people who collect (and appreciate) Bundeswehr militaria. To a certain extent it's like announcing the destruction of an historic church in order to build a Burger King outlet on a Religious Website.

As Sir Humphrey Appleby might say: " A courageous move".

N
          Last edited by Nachrichten; 11-05-2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah, going to a collector's forum and talk about destroying not one, but two, irreplaceable items for what is likely to be a passing fancy is a "gutsy move". It's kinda like going to a vegan website to talk about how best to work pork into a particular meal

Having nothing to do with the BW jacket in question, I don't know why anybody would spend upwards of $300 or more to take two already worn out jackets and have them professionally mated into one. Irrespective of the historical value, I personally find it to be wasteful. I'd much rather spend 1/4 as much on a really nice brand new repro jacket, in my size, that I like as it is.

To me it's like the people who buy a house because they "fell in love with it" and the next thing you know they've gutted it, put a huge addition on, tore up the ground around it, and so on. I just don't get it

Having said all that, I do wear some bits of uniforms that are fairly collectable. Usually examples that are already past their prime and not that difficult to find replacements for. I wear them around for a little while, rarely decreasing their condition by much (i.e. worn to the grocery store, not painting my house), then sell or trade them for something new. I get some enjoyment from wearing them, someone else gets a chance at owning it after, and I get my money out to reinvest in something else.

Just some thoughts

Steve

P.S. As stated earlier, I briefly wore a Belgian 1956 model jacket, a direct cousin to the Splittertarn jacket in every way, and hated it. It's uncomfortable under the best of conditions. Changing the size of it won't change it. There's a reason why the half dozen nations that experimented with this type of uniform dropped it within a few years. It's the same reason why nobody (but the Spanish, for some reason) wore uniforms like this since. It's just a bad design, period.

Comment

[QUOTE=Collectinsteve;5573136]

"Having nothing to do with the BW jacket in question, I don't know why anybody would spend upwards of $300 or more to take two already worn out jackets and have them professionally mated into one. Irrespective of the historical value, I personally find it to be wasteful. I'd much rather spend 1/4 as much on a really nice brand new repro jacket, in my size, that I like as it is.

To me it's like the people who buy a house because they "fell in love with it" and the next thing you know they've gutted it, put a huge addition on, tore up the ground around it, and so on. I just don't get it

Just some thoughts

Steve"

An option (based on Steve's suggestion):-

http://www.epicmilitaria.com/product...ouflage-jacket

I have one of these. They can be selected to fit; they are long; the material from which the jacket is constructed is comfortable to wear and they look o.k.

As Steve says, the effect is still the same. When it's 'worn in' it'll have that "fun Eastern Front feeling to it" (which, I think, was referred to in the very first post made about this jacket - separate thread). If you like the 'sumpftarn look' (and you must, because you spoke affectionately about the BGS parkas which you owned in that earlier thread also), this may be a better option than what you have foreshadowed. It would certainly be cheaper.

N
              Last edited by Nachrichten; 11-06-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I do have various reproduction WWII camouflage items and they are fun. I put this new jacket on today over one of my Blumentarn jackets and it's only about 1" shorter...so it's not sooo bad. Once I had gotten the waist cinched up tight and got rid of some of the balloon effect, it looks much better. I've also been wearing it almost nonstop for the last few days to loosen up the material and it hangs much better now too. You guys are right. I'll just keep it the way it is and enjoy it as is. I do wish that someone would come out with a reprint of this camo scheme though. It looks good and I could think of some good jacket/smock designs for it.

Comment

All's well that ends well.

You made a good choice/decision.

Enjoy the jacket. You can experience that 'Cold War feeling' in one of these.

N

Comment

I also agree that someone should repro the pattern. It wouldn't be that difficult. Take a WW2 Splittertarn pattern (of which there are many repros out there!), offset so there is some white, and change the colors. Bingo! I personally would love to see Broad Splinter reproduced even more. Love that pattern and it is "rarer than hen's teeth". You're more likely to find a Waffen SS Palmtree smock before you find a BW Broad Splinter piece for sale.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X