Mystery SMG pouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery SMG pouch

Here's a mystery item to several of us. It appears to be a BRD post-war SMG pouch, but nobody can ID it.

Full discussion can be seen here:

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t7541-i-...h-please#55536

There are several distinctive German features about this pouch, yet it doesn't match anything from WW2. The closest thing I've seen is the experimental MKb 42 pouches, but those are both larger and have a different closure system.

My guess is 1940 or early 1950s "police" issue for use with US M1 Thompson SMG. Though I still can't help the PPSh 43 feeling I have, despite it not being compatible with other evidence.

Any ideas?

Steve

Steve,

I am the original owner of this pouch. It came with a group of Vietnam-era US web gear. I posted it here for discussion before I sold it on Ebay.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=615925

Regards,

Bryant

Comment

Hi Bryant,

Small world, eh?

Well, looking at your thread it doesn't seem there is anything new to add. Though I agree with what one guy said that this isn't Yugoslav or Czech. At least not standard production. Though I suppose immediate post war Czech for the PPSh, using surplus stocks from Third Reich production is a possibility. I'll ask a Czech friend if he knows anything about it.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Check out this thread on the Fallschirmjaeger Forum. Could this be pouch be a descendant?

All the best,
        TJ

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=514270

Comment

Great threads to follow, but no... I don't think there's any relationship. The mystery pouch is most closely a cross between a standard 3 cell MP40 and PPSh 43 pouch, with most of it's primary features coming from the MP40 design.

It's possible that this is German WW2 production to go along with captured and converted PPSh 41. The Germans converted significant numbers to 9mm and gave them clips to use instead of the drum. I had always thought they used standard MP40 pouches, but maybe not?

Steve

Comment

Steve,

I hope you can lock down WW II provenance. This would make this pouch very rare indeed.

In an earlier thread about Thompson M-1 sub machinegun use in the Bundeswehr, we learned that most of the Thompsons provided under the Mutual Defense Asssitance Program (MDAP) by the U.S. were issued to tank crews.

The design of this ammo pouch lends itself well to a Thompson equipped armor crewman. It has a generous sling optimal for easy on and off and three magazines is more than enough to support the majority of dismounted missions.

Perhaps the best thing to do now would be to scan the photographic records for the evidence you need to confirm any number of theories.

All the best,

TJ

Comment

I've seen pouches like this before. From what I understand, it's one variation of the sterile pouches made for and supplied by the CIA to various counter insurgency operations in the 1960-1970s. They were meant to go different sub-machine guns that were also being supplied at the time, including Thompsons, Grease guns, Swedish Ks, Mp40s, etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X