No announcement yet.

Early Gebirgsjaeger Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm unaware of any custom made Affenjacke (double breasted), but for sure there were high quality and lighter weight versions of the Viertaschenrock (4 pockets) made by various tailors.

The badges were standard issue, as far as I know. Production never stopped, but they did switch wearing them on the right sleeve to the left. Someone else here probably knows the exact date, but IIRC it was around 1959. Originally only FJ and GJ had unit badges.

No idea about General's ranks at the time but I'm guessing they used the silver bullion "Handgestickte" type like all other officer ranks.

Steve

Comment

The above depicted patches were introduced in 1957. These ovals were worn as branch insignia, not unit insignia by members of all Airborne units (left) and mountain units (right). The ovals were worn on the upper right sleeve. The wear of these insignia was discontinued with the introduction of Division and Brigade unit insignia in 1962 (examples of 1st Airborne Division and 1st Mountain Division patches depicted below). These patches are worn on the upper left sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud Kraut View Post

The above depicted patches were introduced in 1957. These ovals were worn as branch insignia, not unit insignia by members of all Airborne units (left) and mountain units (right). The ovals were worn on the upper right sleeve. The wear of these insignia was discontinued with the introduction of Division and Brigade unit insignia in 1962 (examples of 1st Airborne Division and 1st Mountain Division patches depicted below). These patches are worn on the upper left sleeve.

Most helpful information.

I detect (in the second set of images - 1962 pattern) at least four patches with what appears to be metallic thread used in the edelweiss and edging. Would these be officer-only patches or available for wear by other ranks, as well (on 'best quality' uniforms for parade or walking-out)?

Also, again, could these be privately acquired? I'm not so much asking about the actual uniform garments but, rather, the uniform effekten.

Again, any insights would be most helpful.

N
        Last edited by Nachrichten; 10-23-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Nachrichten,

The badges with silver bullion were officers patches. Yes they could be privately purchased and often were for a dress uniform. I have several, on tunics, in my collection.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
            Nachrichten,

The badges with silver bullion were officers patches. Yes they could be privately purchased and often were for a dress uniform. I have several, on tunics, in my collection.

Regards,

Gordon
            I second that. Today bullion made patches can be purchased (and theoratical worn) by all ranks at the LHD (former Kleiderkasse) shops. In fact you'll wind them mostly on Officer's and senior NCO's uniforms.

Comment

Thank you for your swift responses (and the information contained therein).

So, again, an old tradition in the German Armed Forces continues, ie. EM's being able to purchase and wear officer-quality insignia on their 'best dress' uniforms.

One last question: Were General officers (assuming such to be affiliated to either FJ or GJ) able to wear gold trim on their branch insignia?

N

Comment

Originally posted by Nachrichten View Post
                Thank you for your swift responses (and the information contained therein).

So, again, an old tradition in the German Armed Forces continues, ie. EM's being able to purchase and wear officer-quality insignia on their 'best dress' uniforms.
                Not just that, but also factory made ones in at least one case. A Wachtbatallion jacket produced in the early 2000s (IIRC) had bullion unit and collar badges, as well as bullion Wachtbatallion cuff titles. Rank was not included (it was a special button on type), but the collar cord indicated the uniforms were intended for NCOs. A large number of these were sold as surplus years ago and many wound up in the US. I picked up two at a local Army & Navy shop.

One last question: Were General officers (assuming such to be affiliated to either FJ or GJ) able to wear gold trim on their branch insignia?
                I've never seen a gold unit badge of any type for sale or on a jacket. I have a fairly good sized collection of pictures of Generals' uniforms in service and in collections. I have a couple myself. Many have standard bevo unit badges, some the silver bullion type. I've never seen gold that I can recall.

Steve

Comment

Gentlemen,

Gold insignia was used on General officers tunics of both the Heer and the Luftwaffe. The general in charge of the Panzerlehrbrigade wears a gold wire embroidered cuff band.
                  Re Nachrichten's comment the continuing practice of senior NCOs wearing officer quality tunics. Here is a picture illustrating issue tunics and officer quality tunics in wear by enlisted men. As well as a General officer.

Regards,

Gordon
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Gordon Craig; 10-25-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Gold insignia was used on General officers tunics of both the Heer and the Luftwaffe. The general in charge of the Panzerlehrbrigade wears a gold wire embroidered cuff band.
                    I took the question to be specific to the arm badges, but I could be mistaken

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                      I took the question to be specific to the arm badges, but I could be mistaken

Steve
                      No, you are not mistaken.

My question related to the Branch Badges.

So a General Officer would wear a standard 'officer variant', it would seem.

N

Comment

Gentlemen,

Re Nachrichten's comment the continuing practice of senior NCOs wearing officer quality tunics. Here is a picture illustrating issue tunics and officer quality tunics in wear by enlisted men. As well as a General officer.

Regards,

Gordon
                        Great photo !!!!!!!!! Tom

Comment

Hi Nachrichten,

So a General Officer would wear a standard 'officer variant', it would seem.
                          Yes, but many Generals wore the "normal" woven variant, without any problems.

Uwe

Comment

Great thread to read and informative.
                            Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Great thread!

I have a Bw GJ photo album from 1958 with several hundred photos.
                              Very rare and never before seen pictures inside.

Has someone ever seen camo knickerbockers?

Regards, Matthias
                              Attached Files

Comment

Moin, excellent shots, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X