Bundeswehr Helmets needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr Helmets needing help

I recently bought a couple of old helmets here in Germany and needing some help with them. Here is the first. I am sure the steel shell is good but the light weight plastic liner has be asking if it is real or not and what were the dates it was used.
    Attached Files

more of the plastic liner
    Attached Files

Comment

Austria, Norway?

Comment

The shell is stamped VDN 1/87

Comment

Unfortunately my knowledge of helmet details is a bit limited. However, both Austria and Belgium used gray colored plastic liners like that. Not sure what other countries might have also done that. The Austrian helmets are all over the place.

Steve

Comment

GREENEDUDLEY,

If the steel shell is marked "VDN" it could stand for Vereinigte Deutsche Nickel-Werke, Schwerte (or Nickel und Stahlwerke).

I think Schwerte is located in the Ruhr Valley.

The firm was active in manufacturing steel helmets for the BW, mainly the "M60" and "M62". Are there any signs that the steel shell had an internal liner that was removed?

The plastic liner looks like the ones fabricated by Belgium for troops serving in U.N. peacekeeping missions.

All the best,
            TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
              GREENEDUDLEY,

If the steel shell is marked "VDN" it could stand for Vereinigte Deutsche Nickel-Werke, Schwerte (or Nickel und Stahlwerke).

I think Schwerte is located in the Ruhr Valley.

The firm was active in manufacturing steel helmets for the BW, mainly the "M60" and "M62". Are there any signs that the steel shell had an internal liner that was removed?

The plastic liner looks like the ones fabricated by Belgium for troops serving in U.N. peacekeeping missions.

All the best,
              TJ
              That was my first thoughts also when I saw that blue liner. But the UN belgian ones (that I know) have also blue webbing, not OD webstraps.

Comment

DUTCH M53

in use from 1953 - 1990's

"Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke", German manufacturer (marking stamped, noted VDN).

the shell was made by Germany for Netherlands

the plastic liner is a late issue probably from the late 1970's - 1980's
                Last edited by bolo; 07-02-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Thank You, for the information. It is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by GREENEDUDLEY View Post
                    The shell is stamped VDN 1/87
                    date of manufacture = Jan 1987

the liner also has a 87 date, so this is a 1987 matching set

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X