Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGS Parka - Sumpftarn

Hi, all.

Picked this up at Camden Market, a few weeks ago....
    What are your opinions?

Dave
    Attached Files

More....
    Attached Files

Comment

David,

Nice to have a parka with the lining. I have a similarly "used" one like this. Sleeves seem to be the parts that get the most damage. As with almost all of these the sleeve pocket cover is missing. I ahd to apy almost as much for the pocket cover as I did for the parka! Too bad it is missing the D rings from the back. Those are probably very hard to find. Nicely marked makers label.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Always great to find one of these, though I hope you didn't pay too much for it. If you paid 10 GBP for it... good deal. If you paid 50 GBP... you could do much better on German eBay. For example, I saw one close today on eBay that looked practically unissued, complete with liner. Final price was EUR 60. Of course then there is the bugger of shipping costs on top of that.

Like Gordon said, demilitarization damage is very common for BGS jackets and parkas, though less common with the parkas than the jackets. This one has additional damage on top of the deliberate damage from demilling.

The one you have is the earlier type, which was made in 1967 and early 1968. The defining feature is the flashlight hanger reinforcements in the chest pocket area. The later type did not have these. There's a few other minor differences (with the armpits, IIRC).

Steve

Comment

Doh! In that case, I got stung :-(. Oh, well, live and learn. I was actually surprised to find this.

Dave

Comment

We've all "been there", so at least you are in good company. Not that your bank account feels any better about that!

Also, I just noticed the repairs to the back. Cut all the way from top to bottom, perhaps an attempt to make it a size or two smaller. Then there is the cut out repair at the bottom hem too.

This is a great pattern to have in any collection. I encourage you to look for a 1968-1976 model in great condition. That way you at least leverage the investment in the one you have now to compare production differences with a better condition one.

German eBay has a specific section for BGS, though often these come up in the general BRD area.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X