Fallschirmjäger Versuchshelm, Para-helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallschirmjäger Versuchshelm, Para-helmet

I just picked up a new helmet for the collection and I think that is an early model Fallschirmjäger Versuchshelm, from the 1955-1961 era. It was listed on eBay with a homemade woodland camo cover. It was being sold "for a friend" with no history known about it. From the looks of the posting photos, I took a gamble that it was quite possibly an original BW paratrooper trial helmet. After receiving it, and getting a closer look, I am feeling pretty certain that it is a Fallschirmjäger Versuchshelm.

It appears to be in unused and unissued condition. It is high quality and there is nothing about it that lends me to think that it is a Chinese or Indian copy. The paint is a blue grey and the the leather straps are also a blue grey, or just grey, depending on how you judge it. When I saw the listing, the fact that it was stamped with the liner size and had the edge trim on the shell, and the blue grey color, I figured that it was most likely not a replica.

It looks nearly identical to the helmet that started this thread:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=362510&page=5

Here is a link to my online photo album of this helmet in case the photos in the thread disappear later:
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/582650196PRmmzy

I look forward to all comments, observations and opinions about this helmet.

Thanks,
    Mark

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are a few more photos of the helmet. I am also wondering about the original colors for the helmet shells and strapping. Was it standard, and when did it change to the green-brown?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a shot of the helmet looking down at the top......

[IMG][/IMG]

And here are a couple of shots so you can see how it rides on the head while it's being worn:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Marksharky; 04-15-2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

I accidentally made a double posting with the initial thread, so, in the spirit of keeping all of the information in one spot.......... I would like to thank Gordon Craig for his reply to the duplicate posting and re-post a "cut and paste" version of his reply here:

"Mark,

Looks good to me. This is the most common model of these early trial helmets. There appears to have been a few slightly different designs produced. Nice addition to your collection.

Regards,

Gordon "

Comment

I received some additional information from the person I bought the helmet from (via email).

He told me that it came from a friend of his who was a paratrooper with the US 173rd Airborne in the 1970's. He said his friend obtained it in Germany from the German Airborne while on joint US-BW para-maneuvers. That would seem to back up the fact that this is an original BW Fallschirmjäger Versuchshelm.

Comment

Does anybody have any idea (or good guess) as to the general rarity or value of these helmets?
          I am trying to get a basic idea about what exactly I have. Since the Bundeswehr is not my primary area of collecting, I have had only limited practical experience and exposure to these early BW helmets. I actually focus primarily on BGS and police........... which reminds me, does anyone have any leads on one of the BGS para-helmets? A BGS to go with the BW would make a great set!

Thanks

Comment

Mark,

Research seems to indicate that 2500 of these helmets were made for trial purposes. While they appear in period pictures and were obviously used the majority of those that show up on the open market are like this one and appear not to have been worn.
            When I bought mine they were in the 300 to 400 dollar range but since then more of them have come on the market so the price has dropped somewhat. Hard to say what they would sell for today.
            BGS helmets shaped like this one are hard to come by and I haven't seen an authentic one for sale for a number of years. If one comes on the market it will probably show up on ebay.de but I would be cautious about what is offered. Price will be whatever the market will bear.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I am not planning on selling the BW helmet, but it is always good to know what the "market" is on items, just in case.
              I have a good friend who is also a BGS collector, who lives in Berlin. He will be keeping a look out for one of the original BGS helmets for me. I have had pretty good luck finding good items listed incorrectly, or in the wrong place, on eBay lately.............. maybe I'll get lucky and find a BGS para-helmet the same way. One can only hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Marksharky View Post
                I am also wondering about the original colors for the helmet shells and strapping. Was it standard, and when did it change to the green-brown?
                Here is another one, obviously former blue (like yours) overpainted:
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is a BGS green one I just got today.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A couple more photos. The only stamps or markings I could find in it was the size stamped on the leather liner 58
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have a spare one of this blue-grey paratrooper helmet, if someone is interested!
                      Always searching for other types in a trade!

Does anyone know how many typs they tested?
                      I read about tests in the 70ies with more types!

Comment

Great looking BGS / GSG-9 helmet.......

It would be great to see some pictures of the extra blue helm if you have them. If anything, it is nice to see the variation in these helmets. Do you have any history on the helmet, like where it was originally obtained, etc.?

I think it's quite interesting that the only markings seem to be the size stamp on the liner. One would think that even if they were experimental, they would have some kind of date or service code.

Thanks for continuing this thread and keeping the photos coming

Comment

No history, on my helmet. The guy did not even know what it was.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X