Mysterie Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mysterie Visor

I have a hat that I would like to identify. It is a grey visor cap dated 1963. It never had cap badge but does have a NATO stock number. The first thing that comes to mind is a driver for the BW but that is just "hunch". The two ridges around the cap band are very unusual. I've never seen anything quite like it before. Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

The sweat shield with the makers name, NSN etc. The NSN appears to be 8405-12-131-28(3/5)8. Hard to tell if the third number in the last group of four is a 3 or a 5.
    Attached Files

Comment

This hat looks for Nich made ​​by civilian security guards!

Comment

Unkle Kurt,

Thanks for your comments but this cap is darker than the uniforms worn by the civilian security guards and of a different material. At least it differs considerably from the civilian guard hats that I own.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon, civil driving personel was the information I got with these hats - and as they were in a big lot of other hats from civil BW personell this may be correct. I never saw them before and thea are not mentioned in the literature ....

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Gordon; in following thread,post 35 I've posted one that looks like yours.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=571996&page=3

I was thinking private transport sector.
            bus tour operators or such.
            regards
            kees

Comment

Jens,

Thanks.

Kees,

Just a short time ago and I forgot your foto already! The only differences between the two hast is that mine has the makers info on the sweat shield and the two raised bands around the cap band. I wonder if there was any sugnifance to the two bands? So as I suspected, a civilian driver for the BW. Now to find a uniform to match.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon;the raised bands are to narrow apart to keep a text band in place like with navy tally's,perhaps a coloured band could be fitted to indicate being on the job or not,or a colour that indicates a place in a collone,like with the green and blue headlights on vehicles.
                I don't think they are there for show.
                kees

Comment

kees,

An interesting observation. I agree that they are not there for decoration and must have some purpose. A cap band is possible. I've seen that done somewhere but can not remember where now. The other thing that occured to me is they may relate to different ranks of the drivers. I need a lot more information about drivers in the BW. What did they drive? Did the guys who wore these hats drive for all three services of the BW? etc.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Is the NSN ID-able. Maybe from the imprint in the Plastic?
                    Then I can get it checked at the QM Lists.
                    Under the Wuppertal it looks like a NSN with a 12.

Comment

A more or less identical visor bears the 8405-12-131-2867, its made 1961 by Isken.

Jens

Comment

Jens,

That may be the number in my cap as well since I was unsure of one of the numbers in the last set of four digitd. Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

The NSN goes to the QM tomorrow, just talked to my friend.

Comment

Nico,

Thank you. Perhaps you could send both NSNs. The one in my cap and the one Jens sent.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                              Nico,

Thank you. Perhaps you could send both NSNs. The one in my cap and the one Jens sent.

Regards,

Gordon
                              Where is the other one? Let's see what he find's out. Maybe different NSN's by the sizes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X