BW WWII Style canteens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BW WWII Style canteens

I picked up several canteens from an auction site that were listed with single photos a WWII. They all turned out to be very early BW or BGS canteens dated 1951, 53, and 56 with post War large cups as well. Can someone tell me rough value on these? All in very good shape etc.

The BW didn't officially form until 1955, so anything dated earlier than that is certainly not BW. BGS is the most likely candidate, but there were other armed police force with field gear to consider.

Value depends no condition, of course. eBay is rather volatile and unpredictable, but I'd say the price range is EUR 25 through EUR 75. The latter being less common than the former.

At least that's my take on it

Steve

Comment

BW-Canteens

Hi Jonny,

the first BW-Canteen was the "Coconut"-Type, like the tropical
      Wehrmacht one. It was marked "HRE55". Thereafter, the BW used
      Canteens wich looked completely different then Wehrmacht ones.
      I think what you have are early BGS/Police/Civil Defense ones.
      Value is, like Steve said, around 25 Euros normally.
      But what collector is normal?

Best regards

Reiner

Comment

Hi, I will try to take some photos of them, they are identical to WWII wit hthe large WWII style cups.

Comment

If the canteens have blue wool covers, they are police.

If brown (almost identical to WW2, save for a metal retataining loop on the strap), they are BGS.

N

Comment

Johnny R - Here are my early BGS canteens. One is marked "CFL 53", the other is unmarked.

I'd agree with Steve's cost estimate. Mine were around $25-$30.

There are signs that the market for early BS/BW items is heating up. If you can hold onto them for a while, you may be able to command a higher price down the line.

All the best - TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

In this picture, we see wartime canteens on the left and post-war on the right.

TJ
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
                There are signs that the market for early BS/BW items is heating up.
                I know it is only January, but I wish to nominate this for Understatement of the Year The prices on older BW stuff is going insane. EUR 1600 for an Affenjacke, shirt, tie, and trousers... wow. And forget about trying to get an early FJ helmet for EUR 150 like a few years ago. I'd say there's no question the market is heating up. The question is if it will keep going up or crash back down to Earth for a while.

Prices on the old field equipment varies quite a bit, but thankfully it still tends to be reasonably priced. Although a BW collector in 1970 would probably consider EUR 25 for a canteen an outrageously high price

Steve

Comment

Hi, they are the brown type covers and style like the ones posted above in #6. I put them all into boxes and they do not need to go anywhere. I lost on them and paid about 75 USD as there were listed as "WWII" in an auction with no returns etc. That happens, I will hold on to them. Thanks you the help.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X