Bundesgrenzschutz BGS Bergmütze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundesgrenzschutz BGS Bergmütze

I just received a new addition to my ever expanding BGS collection from a friend in Berlin......... a 1967 Bergmütze. There is not much to say about it, so I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Any comments or insights into the use or style of this hat would be appreciated!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a couple of pictures with the hat on. It is quite "stiff" and rigid, which leads me to believe that it was more of a dress hat, than a field hat.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Hi Mark,

Great pics! Yes, this was part of the standard service uniform (Dienstanzug), however the uniform was often worn for field duties. Especially along the eastern borders in the early days. Around crossings the service uniform use appears to have continued until very recently.

As I understand it, the West German government was cautious about the BGS appearing to be too aggressive along the actual border. Therefore, the BGS members that had regular duties along the border itself tended to wear the Dienstanzug. The camouflage uniform (Tarnanzug) was only worn for field exercises behind the border area. In other words, it was reserved for wartime use only.

In general the M43 style cap has always been worn in the field by soldiers in Germany and Austria, even when it is supposed to be for service dress only. Lots of pictures show this being the case.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
      X