Visor purple piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visor purple piping

Hi, what is wine red/purple piping on a bundeswehr visor? I got one for 15 bucks and am curious as to what branch it is?

Thank you.

Hi, that sounds like "ABC Abwerhtruppe" the branch that deals with defensive measures involving nuclear, biological and chemical warfare.
    S.L.

Comment

probably is then. it's the exact same shade of piping as a WWII Nebel/Smoke troops visor.

Comment

Further to my answer below, the colour is actually called "Bordeauxrot".
        S.L.

Comment

thank you. That term is new to me. I it worth the 15 bucks I paid for it?

Comment

...over here in Germany 15,- would be a great deal - no matter if it is the dark grey version made 1962 - 1970 or a later one in a lighter shade of grey made between 1970 and 1975 (afterwards visor type caps came out of use and were only made as private puchase hats... as these are undatable and could be still bought today they are out of interest for most collectors).

As the NBC troop is one of the smallest branches these hats are hard to get - only the white piped form the musicians are harder to bring down. Even in small hat sizes (54 - 56 cm ) the are worth around 75,- € which is in fact a high price for BW items from the 60ies (or later).

Jens

Comment

$15 about £10 , despite being a rare cap, thats about all you get for it here in the U.K. Sadly Bundeswehr items are still to some extent viewed as surplus/work clothing over here, so not much call for caps, except for use stalwarts ! Bargains to be had at the moment, I hope that changes and the the BW gets the recognition it deserves within the U.K. collector community as it seems to have in Germany......meanwhile I will continue to pick up some nice items here in old blighty !
              S.L.

Comment

Hi all, here are the pics of it. I thought it was medical at first, and wasn't going to buy it. Glad I did buy it! I think I got lucky here, as I got it in Gettysburg, a tourist trap. Just goes to show thta some interesting things can be found in surplus shops. If you want any more pics, just say so.
                Attached Files

Comment

As noted above it is for ABC gas defense and decontamination and the schools for those subjects etc. It uses the same color as WWII Smoke Troops which also were decontamination troops and trained for gas defense in WWII.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pictures ... clearly a dark one and made in a good year.
                    Iteresting that all NBC caps I´ve seen yet are unissued ones in 55 or 56 size...

Jens

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I've never seen another of these, and the piping is what got me interested. Johnny, thanks for showing that nice one, is that your's? I'd love to own that one. Maybe someday I'll find na original

Comment

Here is one I have which is the same maker, size and year as yours. I have pictures of officers at the school in the 50s when it started as well but if i remember correctly the images are all black and white. The main school was at Sonthofen.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice hat! Thought I'd never see a "twin" to this hat. if anyone else has one, please post it!

Comment

The are not seen that often in the US and Canada but do a search on German Ebay for "bundeswehr schirmmütze", there are plenty of them out there. I used to see tables covered with BW visors at fleamarkets there.

Comment

that would be heaven-although my primary intrest is WWII visors.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X