MMAX 2011 and what I did not buy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMAX 2011 and what I did not buy!

Well, the MAX is over for another year. For the first time in years I was able to attend. While nit is not the MAX of old it was still worth the trip. I added some nice pieces to my DDR uniform collection, one piece to my BRD collection and another piece which could be from between the two wars. We went from the MAX to Atlanta, Georgia so not pictures of my new stuff until I get home in mid month. We start our 2000 km tek home on Sunday.
    Antway, back to what I din't buy. One guy there had a couple of items I would really liked to have added to my BRD collection but when I priced them he would respond with a ridiculously high price and immediately say his price was firm. That doesn't leave much room for bargaining.
    The first thing I asked him a bout was an early police motorcycle helmet for Berlin. Sorry for the blurry pictures. Like a lot of show venues, this hall had poor lighting.
    Attached Files

The interior of the helmet.
    Attached Files

Comment

The other item I asked about was a grey leather flight jacket. It was not "A" stamped inside so there is a good chance this came from the original owner. There were no signs of anything ever been sewn to this jacke and then removed except for where the name tag was over the left breast.

Regards,

Gordon
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice pieces! Pity the guy wouldn't negotiate, but I don't think it's terribly surprising. With eBay just a few clicks away I think some dealers have a sense of security they didn't have 5 or 10 years ago. If the buyers at the show don't like the pricing and don't buy, well there is always eBay where people sometimes bid EUR 250 for a 1960s General's hat. Like last week!

A friend of mine used to sell at shows. He said dealers basically broke down in three types:

1. Mobile stores - prices are OK, but the dealer either has a shop or a mail order business (now eBay) to sell items that don't sell at the show. So they aren't desperate to sell.

2. Museums - we've all seen these guys. They show up to every show with the same stuff they've had for the last 10 years. They don't seem to sell much because their prices are museum prices.

3. Dealers - sellers who want to go home with significantly less than they came with. Prices either start out fair or are designed to come down with negotiations.

My friend was #3 type. At the show I first met him at he sent me home with a HUGE pile of stuff for a reasonable chunk of money. I bought tons of stuff from him after and through that we became good friends. My kind of guy

Steve

Comment

Gordon - I look forward to seeing pictures of your haul when you get back home.

Did you link up with Ralph and other members of the WAF at the show?

All the best - TJ

Comment

TJ,

I didn't get a "haul" at the MAX. Just one BW tunic and a few small NVA pieces.
            Yes I hooked up with Ralph, Rick and Tony at Ralph's table.
            Here are a few photos that I took at the show.

Regards,

Gordon
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Excellent pictures Gordon,

If only there were more militaria shows in the southern United States I'd gladly attend. Unfortunately the shows are more strictly catered to the gun and knife crowds around here.

Comment

Yeah, Gordon's pics are making me itching to go to a show too. The closest one of any decent size is about 5 hours drive. I haven't been in eons. Maybe I'll catch it this Spring.

Steve

Comment

I had a great time talking with Gordon and glad he took the time to sit and talk between walking through the two halls.
                          Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X