Raincoats and Greatcoats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raincoats and Greatcoats

I don't see many of these posted so I need some help.

First is this Greatcoat or Overcoat. It is dated 1960 and is in excellent condition. However, I am wondering if the shoulderboards would fit for the time period. If our guy enlisted in 1960, whould the rounded style of shoulderboards have been adopted and in use by the time he made Hauptfeldwebel? Also, the devices on the shoulderboards are flat, whereas the ones on my 1990s era jackets are 3-dimentional, is this indicative of a particular time period or are both styles used? I have also shown pictures of the backs of the buttons. All buttons except for one are like the top one, however the bottom picture is of the one button that is made by a different maker. From the front all the buttons look the same, is there any problem with this from a collector's point of view?
    Attached Files

Now for my raincoat.

I think this is dated 1965 and I have included a picture of the tag hoping that someone could verify that I am reading the tag correctly. This jacket is very well used but should display nicely once I find a replacement for the lost rank pip on his left shoulderboard. I think our Lieutenant Colonel must have been pretty cheap and worn it his entire career. My main question here is if the shoulderboard buttons are correct.

Thanks to everyone who is kindly sharing their knowledge as I learn my way around this new hobby.
    Attached Files

Comment

Both coats look o.k. for me. Early dated greatcoats were often found in a modernised form as they were used for a long time. The rounded boards were invented in 1962, the new stile rank device one year later. So a combination of the new boards with the old metal gear o.k. to me. The "altgolden" (old golden) buttons are also correct as they were used by EM / NCO until he late 60ies. Afterwards they changed to the silver ones as used until today.

The raincoat is also typical for this periode.

Regards,

Jens

Comment

usmedalman,

The round end boards were adopted in November of 1962. They probably were not worn, to any great extent, before early 1963. The flat rank insignia was used before the more three dimentional ones came into use in 1963. The EM and NCOs changed to silver in the late 60s and officers a few years later. In essence I am repeating what Jens has said in a little more detail.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Thanks for the info, seems the Greatcoat is 100% okay. Then my only questions is: am I reading the tag correctly in thinking the Raincoat is 1965?

Comment

usmedalman,

The 65 on the tag has nothing to do with the date. The markings 45-65 refers to the size. The makers name in red doesn't help either. Both black and white text was used for this purpose over a large time span.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
              usmedalman,

The 65 on the tag has nothing to do with the date. The markings 45-65 refers to the size. The makers name in red doesn't help either. Both black and white text was used for this purpose over a large time span.

Regards,

Gordon
              I think the 65 is the Arm length and the 45 the shoulder

Comment

Nico,

Thanks. I wasn't quite sure which measurement was being refered to.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Just to round out the info on the label. The first two numbers are the wearer's height and then the chest size.
                  177 - 100 - 45 - 65

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X